Taurus opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a PT709 slim. I haven't had any issues with function, however it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn from a rest (6"-8" low). I sent it in to Taurus and 6 weeks later i got it back still shooting 3"-4" low at 7yds. I then took it to the shop where I bought it. They were able to fix the problem for me in about 20 min for free! It has been smooth sailing ever since.
Bad customer service on Taurus' part.
I reccomend Medlock's in Collinsville as an excellent place to do business. They stayed open after hours to help me with this problem and didn't charge me anything!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing you'll find with questions like "what is your opinion of brand x" is that there will always be fanboys, and haters of which many don't have any personal experience with that particular model or brand at all.

Fanboys like to talk their brand up because they own it (or just like that particular brand for some reason) and feel like people shouldn't be trashing their particular brand, so they will often embellish stories about how good it is without actually having the experience or facts to back their claims up. These guys will often look past reported problems, known flaws, or even experienced issues and claim things like "I've never had a problem with it". That statement should always be qualified with "out of x number of rounds" or "While doing xyz with it".

Haters like to trash things based on what they've heard or just brand-snobbery (or in some cases, a limited experience - often a single isolated incident with strange circumstances). These guys like to say things like "I'd never own brand X" even though they have no first-hand experience, or despite the fact that they really don't have any actual concrete facts about said brand (other than hearsay).

The hard part is wading through all the above to get to good info :)

In my opinion, I'd listen to folks who actually provide constructive points of view with facts to back those views up. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone on this particular thread, its just that I've seen these arguments for almost 6 years on this board now and I just felt like pointing out some of what I've seen over the years.

Now - all that being said, I have owned a Taurus 24-7 in 9mm and had no issues with it. I loved pretty much everything about it (there is an ancient review that I did somewhere on here that I'm not sure if it survived the site-move) except for the Heine two-dot sights - they made me want to focus on the rear sight too much and then connect the dots by drawing the front sight too deep into the rear sight channel. Also, cleaning it was a B!+@# because of the rubber grips that were not removable from the frame (and my concerns about cleaning products melting them).

It was accurate, had a decent trigger (true S/A D/A), and reliable - I put a few hundred rounds through it one day just to test it out and see if I could make it fail. I shot it upside down, limp-wristed it, shot it side-ways, etc... it never failed me). I had overall about 400-500rds through it when I sold it and I never once got to try out the true double-action (since it never failed to fire the round the first time or malfunctioned on me).

That being said, I know more than a few folks with Taurus' smaller line of 9mm guns that had Jam-O-matics and a couple of guys couldn't get through a mag of 9mm FMJ of any brand without a malfunction.

Seems like if you get a good one, you'll love it, but if you get a bad one, you'll hate it until you sell it (their customer service gets mixed reviews from various folks and the problem guns don't seem to ever get completely fixed without a lot of hassle).

I wouldn't personally carry a 24-7 because it wasn't my absolute favorite gun to shoot and there are enough folks out there (some of whom I know and trust) that have had issues with guns that came out of Taurus' factory that I'm a little uneasy about their QC/reliability enough to stake my life on it.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am one of the few dissenting opinions on the pt1911. I do carry one regularly.

With a caveat you better shoot the hell out of it and know what to inspect and look for when you tear it down for cleaning if your going to depend on it. Taurus can be hit and miss on quality control I got a pretty darn reliable one.

At around 5000 rounds mine did beat the guide rod into 2 pieces but even then the spring remained captive for a few more rounds before I realized I had a rod sticking out the front of my pistol.

I replaced the guide rod with a stainless wilsons one.

I just had mine refinished in cerakote, replaced the lawyer lock hammer with a wilsons hammer and new sear set and trigger job.

Picking it up this evening I hope, can't wait to get it back. It conceals easier than my XD9 does but it is heavier thats for sure.

ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_Taurus.jpg

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have problems with them. i think their quality control is an issue or maybe the year or time frame the gun was made in. some people have lots of problems some people have none.

for ccw, i am not going to think about money. buy the best guy i can find. of course this is a individual opinion. lots and lots of police depts use a glock and it is not because they are cheap from my understanding.

for me, i would not carry a .45 in a subcompact plastic gun. you can say recoil is not a problem, but that one shot may mean the difference of going home after the fight or not.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the TCP. I've shot 80 or so rounds through it without any issues. Recoil is very manageable, and pattern is pretty good for a pocket gun. But it's the only Taurus I've ever owned.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a PT1911 and my wife owns a PT145. I love the 1911 but the PT145 stays in the safe.

The last time my wife shot the PT145 the plastic dust cover on the back of the slide broke. She called Taurus CS and they ordered one (so they said). She called a week later to check on it and there was no record of her calling. So they ordered it (so she thought). Called a week later to check on it and still no record of her calling. Called a week later and found it was ordered but was back ordered.

Two months later she gets a part in the mail. It was a dust cover for a different gun. She called and they said they sent it on purpose because they still didn't have the right part but wanted to send something until the right part comes in.

To this day we are still waiting for a stupid plastic dust cover from Taurus.

When it comes down to it a gun is only as good as how well the maker backs it up with good service. If you do a search you will find Taurus makes a decent gun but has poor customer service. This is the reason I won't buy another Taurus.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a .45 for a carry weapon & wanted opinions of people with more experience than me on Taurus. I'm looking at the PT145 or the PT745. I know nothing of Taurus but the pricing & reviews I've read online make it intriguing. A few people I know don't have very high opinions of Taurus in general but I wanted to hear a bit more. I've a Glock 23 now & I'm also kicking around the idea of a Glock 30 or 36, or a Kahr CW45. Thanks

I EDC a Kahr CW45, and yes Gillman, it's a little "snappy". It's not .357 mag out of a scandium j-frame snappy, but it's got a pretty good kick.

The Kahr and Glock are superior, IMHO, to any Taurus.

MadMonk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I realize it's usually a good idea to take the worst review & the best review & toss them both out & look at the rest & with that in mind you kind of realize you don't want to gamble with your life with the cheapest gun (unless it's the best gun as well). I think I'm going to look more into the Kahr or Glock.
Again, thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom