Taurus opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you buy a cheap, finicky, poorly made gun for CCW? This is the pistol you will trust to save your life and perhaps the lives of your family. Get a better gun!
I understand cost is always a factor but we all usually can afford to get what we really want. Don't cut corners on lifesaving equipment.

drumhead23us

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If only all the reviews I'd read had called it cheap, finicky, and poorly made. I probably would have saved up my lunch money a little longer and bought something a little better.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like alot of others have said, Some are good and some are not so good. I had a model 66 that the cylinder would drag real bad after you fire it. Then I had a model 85 that was fantastic?? I still only trust my life with a COLT 1911 or my trusty COLT agent.

Reaction score
My opinion: Their revolvers are excellent to outstanding. Their autos are very good to excellent. I just haven't had the problems that I've heard alleged. I know their CS sucks horribly, but I just haven't needed it myself. This after 1 MilPro, 1 24/7, 2 RB revos, 2 Tracker revos, 1 rimfire revo. The RB revolvers are the pinnacle of their products, if you ask me.

Why would you buy a cheap, finicky, poorly made gun for CCW? This is the pistol you will trust to save your life and perhaps the lives of your family. Get a better gun!

Completely agree. Fortunately, Taurus is not in this category.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, I'd say that most of their stainless steel guns are good to excellent overall. Their carbon steel gun are fair to good. And their Poly guns are average to fair.

The standouts are the Stainless Steel 1911s. And the stainless steel Model 65/66s.

Their customer service is the worst in the business.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whenever someone talks about Taurus, it seems that the conversation always includes things like, "it's great except for...", or, "it shoots fine except when you...".

I'm certainly sensitive to lack of funds issues, but if you can afford it, just buy the Glock, XD or M&P. These pistols seem to take the "except for" out of the question.

Now, with that said, I'm carrying a Ruger SR9c. The day I own a Glock 19 will come, grasshopper. New babies just seem to EAT money.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently own a Taurus PT92 and a Taurus Model-85 (each over 20 years old). They have both performed flawlessly, and I still carry the 85. I have no experience with newer models, so I can't comment on them. I have a couple of friends that used to have Taurus .40's, but they didn't like them. They didn't really say why though.

However, everything else I own is Sig, S&W, Colt, Ruger, and Browning. Any new handgun purchases will be one of those. I've not had any bad experiences with Taurus, but I like the others better.

My favorite revolvers are Colts, but they got out of the modern DA revolver market. :(

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Taurus TCP that I carry every day. It probably has 600-700 rounds through it now. It is very picky on ammo, but the Remington UMC from Walmart works like a charm. I know I have put 300 rounds of it through without a misfire or jam. It has a long trigger pull but you would expect that with a pocket gun with no safety.

My brother has a 24/7 .40 that I have shot and he has put 400+ rounds through it flawless.

There is no gun I trust in a CCW situation based on name alone, its all based on how it responds on the range.

drumhead23us

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone has said that Taurus CS was bad, but it's actually been a pretty good experience so far. I had to send my pt709b back for jamming issues, and once they verified my serial number, they had a FedEx truck to my house in 5 hours and the package arrived in Miami the next day. More info to come as it becomes available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom