Taurus opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
drumhead that's definitely promising! Keep us updated on your situation with them. Its been a few years since I had to 'pleasure' of dealing with Taurus CS so maybe they are finally trying to improve in that area.

imacgyver

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just picked up a pt92 today, they mentioned the lifetime warranty support if you fill out the card. So far, visual inspection looks good, but need to get a range report in to be certain. I'm liking the feel and some of the features, like the Taurus Hammer Lock, thumb safety below the slide etc. Pretty heavy, but I like that, probably change out the grips, but not sure what to even look for. Anyone have ammo recommendations for this particular handgun?

SoonerShots

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I've had a 357 snubby and a 709 Slim. Based on my experence, I made a decision I would not own another Taurus. I don't knock others who do own them. I've owned two strikes, I'm just not going to allow for strike three. If you go with Taurus I do hope you get a good one.

drumhead23us

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I received a letter in the mail dated 3/11 stating that my gun would be back in 2 to 3 weeks. On Friday the 19th we went and picked it up at the FedEx office in OKC. All told it took around 9 or 10 days for the entire process. Haven't got a chance to see if they actually fixed the jamming issue yet, but the turnaround was much faster than expected. One thing I will take exception to is the invoice they sent back. It was very vague, only saying "replaced part" but didn't say which one.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a 66 and an 85 both function perfectly every time. The 85 is fairly new to me and we have only ran a few boxes of ammo through it, but I have had the 66 for many, many years and like it as well as any Smith or Ruger I have owned. The only Taurus semi auto pistols I have fired have been years ago and at the time I was not to impressed, but feel it may be like a lot of stuff that gets a bad rep to start and the rep keeps going long after the problems are fixed.

I will put it this way, if you get a Taurus 45 and do not like it, I have a old reliable Ballester Molina I will trade you straight across for. :D

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy had a Taurus millenium edition that supposedly won gun of the year in 2000 but his gun absolutely sucked. Had the trigger of a water pistol, possibly worse and the sights would never stay stationary. The set screw would always loosen.

I dont know if I could ever bring myself to buy a Taurus auto after seeing his. On the other hand a Taurus revolver I might consider.

voodoobass

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm,..as a new gun owner, and having just bought a PT99, this thread could worry me. I bought an older model and have only put around 100 rounds through it. No problems with mine so far though. I read quite a few reviews on the gun before I bought it, most being pretty favorable. Since mine is an older model, from back when they came with wooden grips, maybe mine will be one of "the good ones". I'd say research heavily before you make a decision,..and then take everything you read online with a very large grain of salt. Thats pretty much how I made my choice, and so far, it seems to be working out for me.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm,..as a new gun owner, and having just bought a PT99, this thread could worry me. I bought an older model and have only put around 100 rounds through it. No problems with mine so far though. I read quite a few reviews on the gun before I bought it, most being pretty favorable. Since mine is an older model, from back when they came with wooden grips, maybe mine will be one of "the good ones". I'd say research heavily before you make a decision,..and then take everything you read online with a very large grain of salt. Thats pretty much how I made my choice, and so far, it seems to be working out for me.

It's their quality control (and customer service) that's the problem here. Most Taurus firearms are actually pretty good guns for the money. I have put quite a few round through one of their stainless steel 1911s, it's a solid pistol overall! But on the other hand their quality control team is crap, so there are bad apples out there being sold that should have never left the factory to begin with. Count your blessing and be glad that you got on of the good ones. It really is a crapshoot with them :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom