Taurus opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taurus is a feast or famine situation. IF you get one that works well right from the start, you have a good gun. If you get one that does not work well, they are almost impossible to get fixed. Taurus may have the worst customer service in the industry!
If your brand new gun does not work, you will pay to ship it to Taurus for repairs, often several times. I sent one pistol back three times before I just gave up.
There are other much better options.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all the issues surrounding them (not even considering that they are poor fit/finish and have crap resale) why on Earth do people buy them?

I would buy a MYRIAD of guns used before I'd even consider a Taurus.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend bought one from Academy in Tulsa and it had missing parts from the factory. It would shoot about 2 rds. and then jam. They did fix it, but I find their lack of QC to be unacceptable. I will never own a Taurus.

I have been seeing others talk about the customer service in a negative light, and I don't discount them at all, but I was lucky enough to have a good experience with them. I had shot my friends gun and seen the issues with it. He was planning to sell it out of frustration and I convinced him to let me send it back to Taurus for him and have it fixed. He is a bit new to firearms and I was trying to help a friend out. Taurus told me it would take 6 weeks to fix it and that they would take care of the shipping both ways. The next day the FedEx guy showed up with a box to pack the gun in and away it went. About 4 weeks later I called to check the status. I was told they hadn't started on it yet but that the 6 week estimate was still good. I guess they had a lot of guns to fix. Not a big surprise when you read this thread and others about Taurus. Anyway 6 weeks and 1 day after sending it to Taurus the pistol was back and fixed. The paperwork said they replaced missing parts and function checked the pistol. The pistol was field stripped 2 times and I was there both times. I am certain it was taken apart and put back together properly. The parts had to be missing from the factory. It jammed all the time from day one. All that said the pistol a 24/7 pro was working properly when returned and Taurus was helpful and right on the money withe the estimate on when the pistol would be returned. The customer service like the Q.C. seems to be hit and miss. I dealt with a pistol that went tits up but good customer service once it did. The whole thing scared me enough to not want a Taurus myself. I hope someone finds this massive wall of text helpful.

Brandon.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All that said the pistol a 24/7 pro was working properly when returned and Taurus was helpful and right on the money with the estimate on when the pistol would be returned. The customer service like the Q.C. seems to be hit and miss. I dealt with a pistol that went tits up but good customer service once it did. The whole thing scared me enough to not want a Tauus myself. I hope someone finds this massive wall of text helpful.

Brandon.

Glad to hear someone got good service. My experience and that of the gun store where I worked was not the same. I guess it is true that sometimes even blind squirrel finds a nut!

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a lightly used Taurus snubbie come apart on me at the cylinder yoke shooting some very mild .38 loads. That, combined with a very good gunsmith's opinion that I trust, will keep me from owning one for any serious purpose.

drumhead23us

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the PT709, and I've had some problems. I bought it because it was inexpensive, and I had seen favorable reviews online and in magazines. It ate the first 300 rounds of WWB easily with only one jam, but decided to jam several times during the firing portion of my CCL class. I put another 50 through it, this time of the NATO instead of the Luger, and only had a couple jams in 50 rounds. I'm going to try a different brand altogether, and if that doesn't solve the problem, I'm sending it back to Miami. Hopefully I get better service than what I've read about both here and other places.

cbickle

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a .45 for a carry weapon & wanted opinions of people with more experience than me on Taurus. I'm looking at the PT145 or the PT745. I know nothing of Taurus but the pricing & reviews I've read online make it intriguing. A few people I know don't have very high opinions of Taurus in general but I wanted to hear a bit more. I've a Glock 23 now & I'm also kicking around the idea of a Glock 30 or 36, or a Kahr CW45. Thanks

Id stay clear from the millenium models and 1911 models. Most everyone says you need to polish the feed ramp on them before they are reliable, and i personally cannot STAND the trigger feel of them. The 709 slim is not a bad feel however or a bad shooter. Id def buy one of those if your looking for a CCW

Latest posts

Top Bottom