Taurus opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I did the gunshow circuit, I had more opportunities to trade for or buy Taurus from guys walking the aisles than any other brand of gun. The majority of the sellers would say there's nothing wrong, they just wanted something else. I imagine they were first-time buyers and the price sold them. With the very few Taurus I've owned, this was enough for me to not try to find a personal keeper.
To the folks that have had good luck with them, that's great, but someone once said if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything keeps me from commenting further.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only owned two Tauruses so far, and have nothing bad to say about either. One was a little snubby 38, the other a PT92. Both were great.

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only owned one . Purchased in 1989 when they first started making the Baretta clones. Put aprox 1k rounds through it and traded it . Never a problem...just didn't like it. Wound up with a Hi-Power I wish I still had.

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a PT-111 Millenium Pro and a 608. Never had any problem with either, but only ran about 400 rounds through each of them. The 608 was really very accurate for me, and its finish was gorgeous. I have been researching revolvers for about 6 months now, because I have a hankerin' for a big-bore. I considered the S&W 460, Ruger 454, and the Taurus M44. I ended up ordering the M44 this week after much deliberation. If anyone is curious about it, I may post my first gun review on it after I have a chance to take it to the range.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've only had experience with one, and that was a revolver owned by a friend of mine. It's the old 431 5 shot .44spl 3"bbl. With jacketed bullets she'd put them where you want them to go. The moment you changed to all lead, and you'd be doing good to hit the broad side of the barn while inside, plus she would lead up something bad. She always worked, and even had a decent trigger pull in DA/SA. The only other one I touched was in H.L.'s about six months ago. When I held it up sideways to the light to look at cylinder gap, I got the $%&^ scared out of me. The forcing cone had been cut right at 15 degree's from vertical to the cylinder. It was one of the little 2"bbl .22lr in stainless steel. I pointed it out to the owner, and he had it shipped back. So thats my time with Taurus firearms. I've heard good and bad on the WWW, at gunstores, and other folks I've been around.

That said! Any gun is nothing more than a piece of machinery, made by man, checked by man, sold by man(No offense BB), and shot by both sexes. Guns break, I don't care what model or what company, they can't hire enough QC people to check each and every firearm that rolls out the door. Granted maybe Taurus could hire a couple more, but it seems for the most part they do try an make a decent firearm, at usually decent prices, an you can go to just about any gunboard and find the "Taurus Bashers Club".

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had one Taurus and would not have another. It was a snub nosed 22 LR and, to be fair had had a nonfactory trigger job because the trigger out of the box wasn't too good.

Anyway, there was a day that I was at the end of my porch waiting for the groundhog to come out of its hole. It did and I pulled the trigger... CLICK! I pulled the trigger several more times with the same results. I went and got my Glock and a few minutes later there was a dead groundhog.

One loses confidence in a gun that goes click when it should go bang.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If not Taurus, what? Is there an overall inexpensive handgun brand that's decent quality or is Ruger the least expensive acceptable quality alternative available?

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I generally do, is decide on the quality gun I want. Then I visit forums and auction sites and buy one barely used at a great price. It may take awhile but I generally end up with what I want sooner or later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom