Thanksgiving food sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we have family visit for Thanksgiving, we do a traditional dinner. I love, stuffing, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie.
Most Thanksgivings we do not have visitors so we do non traditional. Lasagna or Ribs or Steak and Shrimp. This year we will likely have filet Mignon, shrimp and lobster, far east rice, and some dessert.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom makes all her pies and stores them on freezer top in garage, the day before Thanksgiving. About 10 years ago, I made my way out to the garage, the morning of Thanksgiving and cut a piece out of the center of each pie. Her due diligence was to keep the pies covered with kitchen hand towels until the pies were to be served. The look on her face when she removed the first towel was that of, what the heck. But the words that came from her mouth after she removed the last towel was surprising to all that were sitting around the table.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not saying OP is wrong, but OP is WRONG.

I like the trad foods like turkey, potatoes, Mac & cheese, sweet taters, etc.

We also have baked beans, green bean casserole, boiled cabbage and pecan pie. Pumpkin pie, I can take it or leave it but give me pecan pie!
That's just the OP's way of saying he can't cook worth a darn. :}

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who chose the traditional menu? Do people REALLY like all that stuff?

I don't like turkey
I don't like stuffing
I don't like sweet potato/yams
I don't like cranberry stuff
I don't like pumpkin pie

For real, how did THAT become "tradition".

Gimme a steak and mashed potatoes...I'm good.
I like Turkey once or twice a year if done right. Smoked with cherry wood is excellent.
I don't like stuffing.
I don't like the overly sweet way most sweet potatoes are made for the holidays, but onion roasted or baked with butter and cinnamon is very good.
Cranberry sauce is OK once a year or so.
Pumpkin pie is good with enough whipped creme, but I prefer peach of cherry.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I generally prefer ham over turkey especially a ham that I've slow smoked for 12 hours or so but turkey and Mom's homemade dressing, mashed, potatoes, and gravy hard to beat.

I definitely like smoked or deep fried turkey better than baked but with the right gravy baked is good too.

Mom's pumpkin pie is phenomenal. I'm also a big fan of pecan pie.

I've had a few Thanksgiving meals alone or at work that weren't traditional but I really like the more traditional version much better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom