"the boltman"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
anyone else have any experience with his work. thinking we should start a feedback or opinion page for him.

so far i am not thrilled with the guy as a professional.

i know nothing about the guy and his life, and perhaps i am just an exception to the rule.

my experience thus far:

i contacted him 10/12/2010 and discussed the arrangement, quoted me 10-12 weeks.
Confirmation that he received my bolt to be customized, on 11/03/2010.
the online records do not go back this far, but i recall my check clearing a few days later. (i do not have a problem with this, just fact)
having herd not one word from him about the progress i sent him an email, to see if it was still going to be on time 01/15/2011, he replied same day and told me he bought him and the misses a new computer upgrade (no idea what that has to do with my bolt.) but that it would be another 3-4 weeks.
again having not herd a word from him my impatience got the better of me and i emailed him again 02/15/2011 to see if it was completed as i had finished everything else on my rifle and am eager to put the last part on it and go shooting. he replied that day (was a tuesday) saying he had completed it and that it "would ship out this week, probably friday"
yesterday was a week from that mentioned friday, i have not herd form him, not received a confirmation email, and not received the bolt.

if you are keeping track. a 12 week max quote is now on week. 16.5 and counting.

i know this is a rant and i will probably receive hell from my fellow posters, but is this really how people do business?

i mean even if this is not his bread and butter, and this is just a hobby he enjoys doing or something. you are talking about accepting someones property and payment, and giving a word as a business man involved in a professional deal. i respect that things happen and deadlines change and this cannot be helped. i also respect that he came recommended by a couple different people and thus is probably fairly busy. what i am saying is from my experience watching my father run his own business, if you are over worked you do not accept additional work, if you are running late, or a deadline changes, you go to the customer and inform them, if you ship something its kind of a common courtesy now a days to give them a tracking number, even usps does them now.

i do not regret choosing him for the bolt project. (he is pretty much the only source you can find unless you want to cut the thing off and drill and tap a crummy looking kit) i am just excited to get this thing done, and am not thrilled with the extra delay and failure to inform me of changes.

so i guess now is the point where i choose to hit submit and see what my mouth has gotten me into this time. lets play count how many people will flame or troll my post, detailing how i am an impatient prick on a high horse and to stop slandering the good name of a firearms industry asset.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had issues similar to this with a guy in Colo. that was building uppers.
It was at the start of the obama panic, and he had the lower price, better options, prior to the panic.
He put me off and put me off, for 30 weeks. He had my money, and milked the higher uppers during the price increase.
The upper shot like hell, and sent it back.
He sent it back, and it was no better.
I sent it back, with a note that I had requested a 1-10 twist, and received a 1-7. Its pretty easy to check the twist in rifling.
He refused to make it good, even when I sent him the original spec sheet.
So, now I shoot a bullet I dindn't want to. Its accurate as hell, but not what I asked for.
Accuracy Systems Inc.
Aurora Colo.

Never do business with this jerk.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
no. hes a guy that has an angelfire website, been making bent bolt modifications by properly cutting the old knob off and welding an extended bent knob on. been doing it for many years and is the only source i have found to do it like that. shy of buying an ati which is not swept back. he is more well known to the mauser and mosin shooters.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found in my own dealings with guys who provide a niche type of service that alot of times when they know that the service they provide is 'specialized',not always but alot of times, they are the worst people to get something done for you at the rate of speed you expect. I deal with it alot in my own small business. I rely on certain small contractors to provide me with a service so I can provide someone else with a service and in the end I am the one who ends up looking bad because I wont pass the buck and tell my customer that "well,sorry,but, ol so-and-so took too long to do whatever". Its frustrating. Customer service and pride in an artisans work has gone to hell these days with alot of people.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with Adluginb. He sent off a couple of my bolts to do a Tactical Badger style knob on, really sharp. I think that guy did a lot of things to bolts.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 5 bolts done by the Boltman and his work is excellent. He is very popular on the Mosin 91/30 forums and considered to be the best. As far as I know he has never cheated anyone. He does do hundreds of bolt modifications for customers worldwide so he does get backlogged as he does all the work himself. He is also a sponsor over on Gunboards http://forums.gunboards.com/index.php.

Just stay away from Melbee on e-bay his bolt work is crap.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
yeah.... so that bolt that was "going out friday the 18th" stated on tuesday the 15th. i got impatient yet again. silly me.

emailed him to let him know i still do not have it, as once again, i had herd nothing from him. i got a response tonight, "your bolt is going out tomorrow"

i swear, i will NEVER use this guy again, i do not care how good the bolt is.

at some point one has to weigh the options. i will take a reliable person providing a lesser quality product with good business sense over a person who is the exact opposite, any day.

i already addressed the last post defending him. i am sure he makes good stuff. but in my first post i said its common business sense in my opinion. if you are over worked or having problems DO NOT ACCEPT MORE WORK THAN YOU CAN HANDLE!" had he told me he is not accepting orders. i would have simply gone elsewhere. even bill coye has that business sense, even thou i have been wanting a custom alpha echo forever now.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like I'm the only one that has actually had work done by the guy. As far a defending him I merely stated my experience with him and what I knew about him, sorry if that didn't fit your agenda. If your pissed and feel you've been abused by him, I understand, but my previous post stands. He did excellent work in the the time he stated he would do it in... for me. I would use him again even after seeing your post, his work was that good.
I hope everything works out for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom