The Fixed Blade knife thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the knives all out for some outdoorsmanship this past weekend and they all did great. Light bataning, feather-sticking, notch-carving for a pot-hanger, made some tent-pegs (and hardened by the fire), and struck the ferro rod with all of 'em.

We had to be cautious of banging around the handle of the Mora, and the wood scales on the Condor soak up the water, so that's a concern but all in all - they did great and I'm loving this BK16 (just traded my Bone Collector for another BK16 with Micarta scales).

FYI, if you're looking for a good deal on a cheapie fixed-blade, Benchmade has discontinued their Lone Wolf Hunter (Decent 8cr Chinese steel) and Knife Works has a special going on for $20:

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade...tternonlaysspecialpricewhilesupplieslast.aspx

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool video of Fred Perrin (renowned French custom knifemaker, martial artist, and combative instructor) where he explains the logic behind his acclaimed Street Bowie Designed Spyderco knife and his unique contributions to modern knife design.

Also, the Street Bowie happens to be on-sale at Knifeworks right now:

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercoperrinc04pbbfixedbladekydexsheath.aspx

www.knifeworks.com_images_products_detail_SCFB04PBB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread(probably because I haven't been as active here lately)? My vote is for the Buck Vanguard(420HC). They have a couple options: black rubber grip with nylon sheath or finished wooden grips with leather sheath(the one I currently own). I have owned two of these(lost the first one after several years of use and bought another), and it performs well. I also have a friend(pig farmer) that wears his around his property all day long giving it lots of abuse and he swears by it as well(he has the rubber grip version). I know Buck gets a lot of guff lately, but they can still make a decent cost friendly knife. My Vanguard is USA made and cost me about $50.

Here are my two alternating edc fixed blades: usa buck vanguard & china browning(going away gift from a friend)

IMG_20140218_191150.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about the Spyderco Street Beat (another Fred Perrin design - smaller than the Street Bowie above).

spydercosource.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_07_fb15.jpg

I think I'm going to end up cutting out / grinding my own fixed blade to really get what I want. That seems like the next logical step in my knife obsession.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You going to go for that Tom Brown Tracker look?................ /jk

Are the tools still at the shop or has it been emptied? I would love to try making my own as well.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There might be. I'd guess there probably aren't any good tools down there for decent knife-making (and the tools that were there barely worked). I've been looking at just roughing out what I want on a smaller band-saw and then taking it to a belt sander to refine the outline-shape.

For the grind, there's a file-jig you can do that is basically an over-sized lansky setup with a file (can only do it with flat-grinds, no hollow-grinds) that seems to work pretty well if you want to put the elbow grease and hours into it. I've got plenty of G10 here for the scales.

I really like that Street Beat though. I'd like a good EDC fixed blade that's a little larger than my Izula, but I doubt I'd carry it anywhere to be honest.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Benchmade's Fixed-blade Contego is hitting shelves now and has a lot to offer for the price:

www.knifeworks.com_images_products_detail_183.jpg

Blade Length: 4.97"
Blade Thickness: 0.164"
Handle Thickness: 0.620"
Blade Material: S30V Premium Stainless Steel
Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
Blade Style: Reverse Tanto
Weight: 7.14oz.
Overall Length: 10.18"
Sheath Material: Multi-Position Molded Kydex w/ Adjustable Detent

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That thing looks like the Osbourne design transferred to a straight knife. I'm not for a serrated blade,just never was my thing.

You're dead-on with that assessment, man. It's basically the old Osborn 810 Contego only in a fixed-blade with a better scale and a slightly longer blade (and I'm right with you on the serrations).

Latest posts

Top Bottom