The Landowner's Hunting Freedom Act (2012 SB 1743): Hunting with Suppressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started my comment with "the ODWCS stance"... Should have been pretty obvious but I guess i should have added that I dont agree with it.

Anyway I agree with the post above, poachers gonna poach. They don't care about the law anyway.
And yes I don't agree that we should all be punished for their actions.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like there is still a chance. I've started making calls. This could be the last chance to pass this legislation for the foreseeable future.

From the NRA-ILA Website:
SB 1743 did not get heard in the Senate Tourism and Wildlife Committee prior to its committee deadline and was re-assigned to the Senate Agriculture and Rural Development Committee. This new Senate committee is scheduled to meet this Monday, February 27, and will be considering this bill.

Please contact members of the Senate Agriculture and Rural Development Committee TODAY and respectfully request their support of SB 1743!

Senate Agriculture and Rural Development Committee:

Senator Eddie Fields (R-10), Chairman
(405) 521-5581
[email protected]

Senator Ron Justice (R-23), Vice Chairman
(405) 521-5537
[email protected]

Senator Mark Allen (R-4)
(405) 521-5576
[email protected]

Senator Patrick Anderson (R-19)
(405) 521-5630
[email protected]

Senator Don Barrington (R-31)
(405) 521-5563
[email protected]

Senator Randy Bass (D-32)
(405) 521-5567
[email protected]

Senator Jerry Ellis (D-5)
(405) 521-5614
[email protected]

Senator Ivester (D-26)
(405) 521-5545
[email protected]

Senator Frank Simpson (R-14)|
(405) 521-5607
[email protected]

Senator Anthony Sykes (R-24)
(405) 521-5569
[email protected]

Senator Charles Wyrick (D-1)
(405) 521-5561
[email protected]

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a summary from Bryon's (AKA Major Malfunction) visit to people on the Agriculture and Rural Development Committee.

Bryon said:
Here are the Ag. Committee members and where I believe each stands on support of the bill:

Senator Eddie Fields - Chair (middle of the road - is not opposed to the bill, but is concerned about opening it up to public land)
Senator Ron Justice - Vice Chair (middle of the road - I believe that he will support it if the majority does, but he would not openly pledge his support, so I'm not sure about Senator Justice)
Senator Mark Allen - (couldn't meet with Sen. Allen, but was told that he'll probably support it)
Senator Patrick Anderson - (PLEDGED HIS SUPPORT)
Senator Don Barrington - Meeting scheduled for Monday at 0900
Senator Randy Bass - (middle of the road - he had a couple of ill-founded concerns, which I addressed, so I believe he'll give the bill a fair chance)
Senator Jerry Ellis - Meeting scheduled for Monday at 1000
Senator Tom Ivester - (couldn't meet with Sen Ivester, but his executive assistant said she spoke with him and he's in favor of the bill)
Senator Frank Simpson - (PLEDGED HIS SUPPORT)
Senator Anthony Sykes - (couldn't meet with Sen. Sykes, but was told that he'll probably support it)
Senator Charles Wyrick - (PASSIONATELY OPPOSES THE BILL) He's a Democrat (and I was warned that he's a hard core liberal)

If anyone is planning on e-mailing and/or calling a Senator, I believe that Senator Bass would be one to definitely contact. He seemed very open and reasonable. I think some e-mails and calls could definitely help sway him.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read the same thing over on Silencerforum.com

The main question is did Senator Russell resubmit the amendment to open it to all land or did he stick with the original bill that just lets landowners and their guests use them.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The ODWC's stance along with most all the game wardens and police are for poaching reasons. Game wardens claim that hearing guns shots at night are the biggest give away on road hunting spot lighting etc. Everyone else knows this as well and it can keep an honest man honest with the though that the loud noise will get him busted. Take that loud noise away... Makes it extremely easy to do illegal hunting activities with little to no chance of being caught.
So, you are telling us that poachers will only break certain laws? That while they might shoot after dark, take game out of season, exceed their legal bag limits. They will not break the law when it comes to using a suppressor to take game?
I guess even poachers are not all bad.

Michael

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I emailed everyone on this page

http://www.okhouse.gov/Committees/CommitteeMembers.aspx?CommID=113&SubCommID=0

I reccomend you do the same, I already received an email back from Mike Sanders informing me he would be voting Yes for this bill. I emailed him back to ask if there was a date it was going to come up for vote yet. I will keep you posted. Here is my email. and his response

Brent-

I will be voting yes on this Bill.

Thanks for the email.

Mike

Rep. Mike Sanders, District 59
Assistant Majority Whip
2300 N. Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: 405-557-7407 ext. 407
Fax: 405-962-7871
[email protected]

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:25 AM
To: Mike Sanders
Subject: SB 1743, the "Landowner's Hunting Freedom Act,"

Please pass the above bill. I am a landowner and also own a suppressor. I have neighbors with horses that get spooked easily by loud sounds such as the report from a firearm. I would hate to think that she may have a child riding one and the sound of my gun firing may spook the animal and it react in a way that somehow hurts the child. I Own the suppressor because I was approved by the very department assigned to regulate and deem who is responsible enough to own these types of items already. And I own land. I don’t see why I should not be able to enjoy hunting on my own personal property with my suppressor. I wouldn’t have to worry about hearing damage from the firearm. I wouldn’t spook nearby animals or bother my neighbors. It just seems like a good deal for the people of Oklahoma all the way around.

Thanks,

Brett

Latest posts

Top Bottom