The new Christian Forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't find any irony in the fact that the passage quotes Galileo?

No. I think it is because I do not believe that everything ever done by "Christian" entities or individuals or people groups is correct. If I did, then I would deserve almost unlimited scorn and ridicule. I think that reveals part of the problem here. Evil things have been done by nominal Christians but I do not take this as a refutation of the validity of the truths of Christianity.

6 Strings

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think your take on the situation tends toward the hyperbolic. Instead I would simply say that the average or typical Christian OSAer is tired of being tag-teamed by 5 Atheists (emphasis mine) whenever they express a religous opinion. They aren't debaters who relish the war of words. They just want a place to post without being ridiculed.

Well said. If one expresses their point of view, the atheists feel that they are being attacked and use that to voice their intolerance. Will say that I typically don’t care about the number of the atheists since five times zero is still zero.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Despite your whining, you are not being forced to do anything.

The point of not taxing churches is to keep government out of churches. Once we allow the government into the church, the church is into the government.

I actually don’t believe that a “halfwit bigot wants to inject his/her religion into a conversation”. I am saying that halfwit bigots are trolling threads to insult people of faith.

And for the record, I do not consider you a halfwit bigot. I don’t think you are a bigot. With that said, you are rationalizing behavior of halfwit bigots so I would venture to say you are halfway there.

By allowing the 10 commandments on government property, we are allowing the church in the government, by forcing citizens to visit these institutions, religion is being forced on them. By allowing churches to influence elections, we are allowing the churches in government. There is no place in our government for religion.

People of faith are trolling threads to inject their beliefs....hell, they will even troll your doorstep to inject their faith in your life. I don't see too many atheists doing the door to door trolling thing.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Despite your whining, you are not being forced to do anything.

The point of not taxing churches is to keep government out of churches. Once we allow the government into the church, the church is into the government.

I actually don’t believe that a “halfwit bigot wants to inject his/her religion into a conversation”. I am saying that halfwit bigots are trolling threads to insult people of faith.

And for the record, I do not consider you a halfwit bigot. I don’t think you are a bigot. With that said, you are rationalizing behavior of halfwit bigots so I would venture to say you are halfway there.

A quarter of the way bigot?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well said. If one expresses their point of view, the atheists feel that they are being attacked and use that to voice their intolerance. Will say that I typically don’t care about the number of the atheists since five times zero is still zero.

Christians are such martyrs. When their views are not agreed upon by all, they are being attacked. Seems that I once heard a man say something about two things that you shouldn't discuss with friends, and I'm pretty sure that religion was one of those two things.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting4Fun and all other Atheist OSAers:

There is a book you badly need to read. "How to Make Friends and Influence People". Dale Carnegie distilled wisdom from many different sources. Consider a small sample...

Again I would ask if you're including me regarding atheist in your statement earlier since it came after a couple of my post.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your take on the situation tends toward the hyperbolic. Instead I would simply say that the average or typical Christian OSAer is tired of being tag-teamed by 5 Atheists whenever they express a religous opinion. They aren't debaters who relish the war of words. They just want a place to post without being ridiculed.

If a liberal gun owner said they wanted a similar forum, they'd be laughed out of here, don't you think? Try expressing a socially or economically liberal viewpoint here in GD. You will get tag-teamed by way more than 5 posters.

Do we need a liberal forum? Nope. I say not. Ain't nobody asked for one. Take your lumps, defend your position, or stop talking politics.

Okie4570 and Okhunter seem to do fine for themselves. Good guys.

The you have exiled on puppy street and the like.

This forum is predominantly Christian. It's been polled. The majority of those Christians, almost all, aren't all that vocal about their faith. The remainder percentage is split 50/50...half nice, reasonable guys that don't get offended easily when they enter these discussions and whose faith is actually strong enough they aren't made insecure by words next to a tiny jpeg...and the other half. The half who gets sad, or mad.

GMT made a valid point. Athiests don't harass prayer threads or valid Chtistian threads. Athiests enter sociopolitical discussions involving religion. Another board I'm a member of has a Christian forum. I don't post there. I might add to the "favor bible verses" thread, because I've read it several times and have many, but I won't enter it to argue or troll. If we get one here I would treat it the same. GD? Sociopolitical issues folks insert religion into? That's another matter.

The persecuted Christian act gets old, tho, especially from a majority population. Especially from people who get upset when blacks, liberals, gays, Muslims, etc throw the "sensitive & offended" card.

I think your take on the situation tends toward the hyperbolic. Instead I would simply say that the average or typical Christian OSAer is tired of being tag-teamed by 5 Atheists whenever they express a religous opinion. They aren't debaters who relish the war of words. They just want a place to post without being ridiculed.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, we have it. It's just not visible yet.

And yes, MadSkillz, there will be an "Atheists/Agnostic Avenue" to complement the "Christian Corner." The hold up has been trying to decide whether we keep the "debates" in GD, or have a new section in the religious section. Maybe we will call it the "Den of Debate."

Here's the real solution. Voluntary exclusion, not involuntary segregation. No one is involuntarily excluded from a thread and the forum is not segregated by religion. If no one wants their beliefs challenged they don't go there.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The IRS(which we all know can be trusted) decides which churches earn or lose their tax exempt status so some would say Gov. is already involved in churches.

"Consider that in light of the Internal Revenue Service's increasingly vague regulations, and you have a recipe for the censorship of religion. The IRS, through those vague regulations, reserves for itself tremendous discretion and power to decide which churches to punish for violations of the Johnson Amendment and which not to punish. Barry, I know you've seen this because you report a lot of churches to the IRS for alleged violations, but the IRS only acts on a minuscule portion of your complaints. What standard does it use? Who knows why it chooses to go after some churches and not others? When does a pastor's sermon somehow cross the line?"

"Conditioning tax exemption for churches on refraining from speaking about certain things is just as dangerous as taxing churches outright. Those conditions break down the healthy "wall of separation between state and church" articulated by Thomas Jefferson in his letter to the Danbury Baptists. The conditions allow the state, through its discretion and power, to punish disfavored views and to reward favored ones. The free exercise of religion cannot survive in such conditions. The camel has had its nose under the flaps of the church tent for far too long."

http://www.latimes.com/la-oew-lynn-stanley23-2008sep23-story.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom