The Pledge of Allegiance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
zzzzz.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll even go a step further.

I have this thing I do every now and then, where I "retire" my flag. Yes, I fly ol' Glory at my home 24/7/365. When it becomes tattered, torn and unserviceable, I have a retirement ceremony.

It's usually held around my oldest grandson's birthday in November. He thinks it's awesome and he has some of his friends there that most of the time don't know beans about the flag or flag etiquette and absolutely have never been to a service such as this.

We grill burgers and dogs, build a big bonfire and everyone who wants to, talks about what the flag and America means to them. After everybody who wants to speak is finished, we have a word of prayer, say the pledge and sing the national anthem before we place the flag, PROPERLY FOLDED into the fire.

Last year was extra special. My niece, who is currently serving her 2nd enlistment in the US Navy, stationed in San Diego, was home on leave and she got to be a part of it. That night, I also retired my US Navy flag that I had flown for her when she first signed up.

It's a very somber and wonderful event.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll even go a step further.

I have this thing I do every now and then, where I "retire" my flag. Yes, I fly ol' Glory at my home 24/7/365. When it becomes tattered, torn and unserviceable, I have a retirement ceremony.

It's usually held around my oldest grandson's birthday in November. He thinks it's awesome and he has some of his friends there that most of the time don't know beans about the flag or flag etiquette and absolutely have never been to a service such as this.

We grill burgers and dogs, build a big bonfire and everyone who wants to, talks about what the flag and America means to them. After everybody who wants to speak is finished, we have a word of prayer, say the pledge and sing the national anthem before we place the flag, PROPERLY FOLDED into the fire.

Last year was extra special. My niece, who is currently serving her 2nd enlistment in the US Navy, stationed in San Diego, was home on leave and she got to be a part of it. That night, I also retired my US Navy flag that I had flown for her when she first signed up.

It's a very somber and wonderful event.
Man, that is super special. We need more of that in this country for sure

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never understood the point behind saying the pledge of allegiance every day, maybe more than once a day.

In my head it’s a pledge of allegiance. If you gotta say it every day to remember that you’re being true to your country, there’s a problem. Flag etiquette is extremely important, as is history. Everybody should know how to fly the flag, when not to, how to fold it, store it, what flags are to be flown when, when to retire it, what to do when the national anthem is being played (most people seem to not know), and so on. But I have never understood the repetition of the pledge of allegiance. That would be like being a Christian, waking up and getting baptized every single morning while you’re waiting for your coffee to brew. Now, I know that would be high cotton for some Southern Baptists, but let’s be honest, that would be a little ridiculous. The entire time I was in the Marines we didn’t have to recite it after learning about it and reciting it once in boot camp, just to ensure everyone knew it. I could see little kids getting a class on American history where they need to know flag/anthem/pledge basics, and perhaps saying the pledge the start of each school year afterwards, but what we have today/had 20 years ago seemed excessive. Am I missing something?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, you can’t force
Someone to
Do Something they don’t want to do
I guess I was raised differently. Right or wrong, you were expected to pledge allegiance and if you sat in school while it was being spoken, you might get your ass whupped on the playground.
Different days and times, I guess. I pine for those old days though when people respected our country and flag while working together to make this country better vs working to tear it down.
It's a sad lot of folks running this country today that think the constitution is an old document that needs to be re-written.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never understood the point behind saying the pledge of allegiance every day, maybe more than once a day.

In my head it’s a pledge of allegiance. If you gotta say it every day to remember that you’re being true to your country, there’s a problem. Flag etiquette is extremely important, as is history. Everybody should know how to fly the flag, when not to, how to fold it, store it, what flags are to be flown when, when to retire it, what to do when the national anthem is being played (most people seem to not know), and so on. But I have never understood the repetition of the pledge of allegiance. That would be like being a Christian, waking up and getting baptized every single morning while you’re waiting for your coffee to brew. Now, I know that would be high cotton for some Southern Baptists, but let’s be honest, that would be a little ridiculous. The entire time I was in the Marines we didn’t have to recite it after learning about it and reciting it once in boot camp, just to ensure everyone knew it. I could see little kids getting a class on American history where they need to know flag/anthem/pledge basics, and perhaps saying the pledge the start of each school year afterwards, but what we have today/had 20 years ago seemed excessive. Am I missing something?
I think it would be more comparable to a Christian waking up every day and praying. I think it’s grounding and a place of humility to pledge allegiance to something bigger than yourself. Just like prayer takes humility to ask God for forgiveness of sin and to ask His favor and blessing over you and your family’s life. Do you HAVE to do it every day? No. But I think it’s a damn good habit to do that reminds you that it’s not about you.

Last edited:

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I was raised differently. Right or wrong, you were expected to pledge allegiance and if you sat in school while it was being spoken, you might get your ass whupped on the playground.
Different days and times, I guess. I pine for those old days though when people respected our country and flag while working together to make this country better vs working to tear it down.
It's a sad lot of folks running this country today that think the constitution is an old document that needs to be re-written.
The evil ones that want to rewrite The constitution or have it tweaked to fit their agenda are the same ones that have benefited from that near perfect document giving them the liberties to do so

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The evil ones that want to rewrite The constitution or have it tweaked to fit their agenda are the same ones that have benefited from that near perfect document giving them the liberties to do so
I've said to I don't know how many kids that have been to our home visiting with my sons that the Veterans that have served with some dying and some handicapped for life have paid for the right they have to spew their stupid statements they learned from their schools or parents.
I hope it gave them some thought, but I doubt it. It has to be said though and is not incorrect in saying so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom