The Pledge of Allegiance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ve never understood the point behind saying the pledge of allegiance every day, maybe more than once a day.

In my head it’s a pledge of allegiance. If you gotta say it every day to remember that you’re being true to your country, there’s a problem. Flag etiquette is extremely important, as is history. Everybody should know how to fly the flag, when not to, how to fold it, store it, what flags are to be flown when, when to retire it, what to do when the national anthem is being played (most people seem to not know), and so on. But I have never understood the repetition of the pledge of allegiance. That would be like being a Christian, waking up and getting baptized every single morning while you’re waiting for your coffee to brew. Now, I know that would be high cotton for some Southern Baptists, but let’s be honest, that would be a little ridiculous. The entire time I was in the Marines we didn’t have to recite it after learning about it and reciting it once in boot camp, just to ensure everyone knew it. I could see little kids getting a class on American history where they need to know flag/anthem/pledge basics, and perhaps saying the pledge the start of each school year afterwards, but what we have today/had 20 years ago seemed excessive. Am I missing something?
Yes you are.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I was raised differently. Right or wrong, you were expected to pledge allegiance and if you sat in school while it was being spoken, you might get your ass whupped on the playground.
Different days and times, I guess. I pine for those old days though when people respected our country and flag while working together to make this country better vs working to tear it down.
It's a sad lot of folks running this country today that think the constitution is an old document that needs to be re-written.
Sadly, expectations have changed

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The pledge is said and announced over
The intercom. The admin asks students to rise. No one does.
Peer pressure from other idiots in the class. I’m sure it has to be extremely frustrating to be a teacher these days. I wish there was a way to make everyone of them spend about a week or 2 in boot camp.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll even go a step further.

I have this thing I do every now and then, where I "retire" my flag. Yes, I fly ol' Glory at my home 24/7/365. When it becomes tattered, torn and unserviceable, I have a retirement ceremony.

It's usually held around my oldest grandson's birthday in November. He thinks it's awesome and he has some of his friends there that most of the time don't know beans about the flag or flag etiquette and absolutely have never been to a service such as this.

We grill burgers and dogs, build a big bonfire and everyone who wants to, talks about what the flag and America means to them. After everybody who wants to speak is finished, we have a word of prayer, say the pledge and sing the national anthem before we place the flag, PROPERLY FOLDED into the fire.

Last year was extra special. My niece, who is currently serving her 2nd enlistment in the US Navy, stationed in San Diego, was home on leave and she got to be a part of it. That night, I also retired my US Navy flag that I had flown for her when she first signed up.

It's a very somber and wonderful event.
I do respect your practices and reciprocate your actions too. I have only an angled wall mount bracket that I fly the colors with that's mounted on the front of my house. Displayed on the usual holidays and on my Dad's birthday, it is a little faded but not torn. But I've been compelled the last couple of years by the kneelers and such that I I had to expand my beliefs and subliminally and sublimely instill a correction among the disbelievers and all that pass by and take notice. Several years back I started picking up American Flags at garage and estate sales. New, wrapped, packaged, boxed and unused was not acceptable by me, so I started buying them and putting them on the neighbors beautiful, prominent and unused flag poles (3 to be exact). A rather Robin Hood like approach as I asked not for permission. They just appear. None have been taken down, but they have been left in tattered shape till I acquire a replacement and pick the right night to have my rendezvous with patriotism. My wife doesn't like me doing that and a good friend of mine ( also an OSA member ) has warned me of my actions too. I get quite the giggle as I catch a neighbor looking curiously about standing next to their pole in a rather confused and inversely victimized way. Strangely after such a flagpole meetings I tend to feel as if I'm wearing platform shoes on the dog walks. There is a flag pole now that is due for it's 3rd so I better get shopping.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do respect your practices and reciprocate your actions too. I have only an angled wall mount bracket that I fly the colors with that's mounted on the front of my house. Displayed on the usual holidays and on my Dad's birthday, it is a little faded but not torn. But I've been compelled the last couple of years by the kneelers and such that I I had to expand my beliefs and subliminally and sublimely instill a correction among the disbelievers and all that pass by and take notice. Several years back I started picking up American Flags at garage and estate sales. New, wrapped, packaged, boxed and unused was not acceptable by me, so I started buying them and putting them on the neighbors beautiful, prominent and unused flag poles (3 to be exact). A rather Robin Hood like approach as I asked not for permission. They just appear. None have been taken down, but they have been left in tattered shape till I acquire a replacement and pick the right night to have my rendezvous with patriotism. My wife doesn't like me doing that and a good friend of mine ( also an OSA member ) has warned me of my actions too. I get quite the giggle as I catch a neighbor looking curiously about standing next to their pole in a rather confused and inversely victimized way. Strangely after such a flagpole meetings I tend to feel as if I'm wearing platform shoes on the dog walks. There is a flag pole now that is due for it's 3rd so I better get shopping.

That is both awesome and insane at the same time. 20-30 years ago, it might have been welcomed, especially right after 9/11, when patriotism was at its peak. Nowadays, you're not only risking a good tongue thrashing, but possibly trespassing charges or even assault.

But yeah, I do see your reasoning and I feel like everyone should fly a flag if they enjoy the freedoms that we have in this wonderful nation of ours.

I know things look bleak with our current administration of monkeys, but we are still the greatest country on God's green earth. :patriot:

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is both awesome and insane at the same time. 20-30 years ago, it might have been welcomed, especially right after 9/11, when patriotism was at its peak. Nowadays, you're not only risking a good tongue thrashing, but possibly trespassing charges or even assault.

But yeah, I do see your reasoning and I feel like everyone should fly a flag if they enjoy the freedoms that we have in this wonderful nation of ours.

I know things look bleak with our current administration of monkeys, but we are still the greatest country on God's green earth. :patriot:
At risk of coming across as ignorant and non-patriotic I’ll admit that I am not familiar with proper flag etiquette. Do you guys know if there is a good site with rules on it or a video? Or one of you fine gentlemen maybe write it up if it isn’t too long? I’d love to learn. I just know if I google it I could spend 3 weeks reading about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom