This Is Fascinating and Infuriating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've read over the years, it seemed to be more of a problem with the ammunition, than the rifles.

However, I also read that some of the problems were that new recruits weren't properly trained on cleaning and maintenance of the rifles.
Watch the video. You are correct, however the ammo situation was criminal, not merely negligence.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought GI's weren't initially issued cleaning kits because they were chrome lined something or other...
Yes, the bolt carrier and barrel were both chrome-lined. But that only helps with corrosive ammo. The powder used in the original loadings created more suet than a campfire and would cause the guns to jam.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the bolt carrier and barrel were both chrome-lined. But that only helps with corrosive ammo. The powder used in the original loadings created more suet than a campfire and would cause the guns to jam.

Yeppers...

...I had heard that early encounters with the enemy saw some of the GI's field stripping and cleaning their M-16's in a firefight.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But, but, the M-16 is the wonder rifle! Just ask all the armchair experts here who never had to deal with the problems. Seriously I know a few other vets that would not own one if it was gold plated. The new ones maybe be great, but it is hard to get past the experience. I am lucky I never carried one in Vietnam.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the resentment older Vietnam vets hold for the M-16. But the truth is, the Armalite platform is a completely satisfactory small arms system. Once the powder was changed to ball [BL-C(2)], and cleaning kits were issued, most all of the problems disappeared and it became very reliable.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Robert McNamara should have been criminally charged and held accountable for doing away with the chrome lining of the chamber to save just a few cents per rifle on end cost.

Also, I had read once where Big G wanted to use up stockpiles of the stick powder that they were surplusing from old out of date ammo they were pulling down at the time. Ball powder was called for originally but once again to save money let’s cut corners-it’s not my azz on the line.

Between the change to stick powder, non chrome lined chambers, lack of maintaince training on the weapon platform, and a lack of cleaning kits a perfect storm was brewing. All that was needed was the humidity and heat of SE Asia mixed in. It was found after the fact of issuing the changes to save cents on the dollar that the stick powder was more hydroscopic than ball powder which caused the powder to case to swell causing it to stick in the chamber. Being that the chamber wasn’t chrome lined, dirty from a lack of cleaning, you can guess what happened next. Hence why some vets of the Vietnam War dislike the platform. Fast forward to 1980’s on forward, the M16 variants in FA and semi have became a solid system.

Wrap up, Big G will sacrifice young men a women to save a few cents on anything so they can waste the money in other places. We will give money away to nations that hate us, we rebuild countries time again after hurricanes, we give money to lazy azz people who won’t work but want free beenies, and even waste money in the Defense Dept on gender affirmation training but Heaven forbid Big G takes care of what really matters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom