This old gun needs an identity.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So way back in the 70’s when stationed on a mountain top at a major microwave communications facility that dealt in very sensitive information, one of the sentry’s spotted an antenna sticking out of the brush on the side of the mountain. As I was the ranking NCO at the time, we decided to go through the wire on a patrol to see what was going on.
Three with M-16’s, myself with a 12 ga riot gun.
Pretty windy and cold as hell as usual so it was easy to get close enough to see he was recording our transmissions.
We had some decisions to make. Some of the guys had a little heated greenhouse pot farm going. If we killed or captured this guy there would have been a huge investigation that nobody wanted. The final option was to run him off by hitting him with the shotgun. We were at 60 yards with # 4 shot, so that’s what happened. He took off running and disappeared into the brush. We recovered all the equipment which was destroyed and this pistol he left behind.
We were not allowed to send firearms back home, so took it apart and sent it home through the Korean mail system via a Korean friend.
Sent a letter to my folks and asked them to not open them. Forgot about it for years. Mom called one day and asked me what I wanted to do with these packages. Crap! Went over there, got the packages and put it back together.
Never been able to get someone to give an actual model number other than it looks like this or that.
It’s heavy pitted with a clean bore that indicates to me that it’s been outside for a long time. Maybe a Korean War battlefield pickup?
First clue comes with removing the grips. I can barely make out the number 16 on the right grip.

IMG_3625.jpeg

Here is the pistol, it has taken on a patina that needs no lube to prevent rust. The heavy pitting is evident.
IMG_3622.jpeg
IMG_3624.jpeg
IMG_3626.jpeg
IMG_3621.jpeg

There is a serial number on the buttstock frame but need to know which numbers need to be smudged out so someone online doesn’t claim it as theirs. lol.
IMG_3623.jpeg

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So way back in the 70’s when stationed on a mountain top at a major microwave communications facility that dealt in very sensitive information, one of the sentry’s spotted an antenna sticking out of the brush on the side of the mountain. As I was the ranking NCO at the time, we decided to go through the wire on a patrol to see what was going on.
Three with M-16’s, myself with a 12 ga riot gun.
Pretty windy and cold as hell as usual so it was easy to get close enough to see he was recording our transmissions.
We had some decisions to make. Some of the guys had a little heated greenhouse pot farm going. If we killed or captured this guy there would have been a huge investigation that nobody wanted. The final option was to run him off by hitting him with the shotgun. We were at 60 yards with # 4 shot, so that’s what happened. He took off running and disappeared into the brush. We recovered all the equipment which was destroyed and this pistol he left behind.
We were not allowed to send firearms back home, so took it apart and sent it home through the Korean mail system via a Korean friend.
Sent a letter to my folks and asked them to not open them. Forgot about it for years. Mom called one day and asked me what I wanted to do with these packages. Crap! Went over there, got the packages and put it back together.
Never been able to get someone to give an actual model number other than it looks like this or that.
It’s heavy pitted with a clean bore that indicates to me that it’s been outside for a long time. Maybe a Korean War battlefield pickup?
First clue comes with removing the grips. I can barely make out the number 16 on the right grip.

View attachment 519433

Here is the pistol, it has taken on a patina that needs no lube to prevent rust. The heavy pitting is evident.View attachment 519434View attachment 519435View attachment 519436View attachment 519437

There is a serial number on the buttstock frame but need to know which numbers need to be smudged out so someone online doesn’t claim it as theirs. lol.View attachment 519440
This is a .38 Military &Police Model of 1905. If you want to pm me the serial number ill tell you what change and approximate date of manufacture. Cool pistol I have several.

Latest posts

Top Bottom