This one was UGLY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a guy bring an old lever action .22 in the shop. Made by American Eagle, never heard of them. It's really cool, the entire magazine assembly articulates when you move the lever. Parts are made of Unobtanium. It was a hand me down rifle, so he wants it fixed up for the next generation. The cocking lever screw was lost over the years so the first pic is where farmer John or uncle Leroy made field expedient repairs using hardware from the shop floor. It had about two miles of wobble and slop in it. Second pic- bronze sleeve and 1/4X28 bolt. The sleeve had to be turned down because apparently 5/16" from "back then" is 1-1/2 thousandths larger then 5/16" now. Third pic is the fabricated final bolt with the sleeve installed. Fourth pic- everything cleaned up and ready to blue. Fifth pic- finished.
I bid this job at 2 hours to completely go through and deep clean the gun and fix the bolt, buttplate and find a rear sight for it. The bolt alone was about 1-1/2 hours......
Oh well, it turned out good!

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 0

JbobG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a guy bring an old lever action .22 in the shop. Made by American Eagle, never heard of them. It's really cool, the entire magazine assembly articulates when you move the lever. Parts are made of Unobtanium. It was a hand me down rifle, so he wants it fixed up for the next generation. The cocking lever screw was lost over the years so the first pic is where farmer John or uncle Leroy made field expedient repairs using hardware from the shop floor. It had about two miles of wobble and slop in it. Second pic- bronze sleeve and 1/4X28 bolt. The sleeve had to be turned down because apparently 5/16" from "back then" is 1-1/2 thousandths larger then 5/16" now. Third pic is the fabricated final bolt with the sleeve installed. Fourth pic- everything cleaned up and ready to blue. Fifth pic- finished.
I bid this job at 2 hours to completely go through and deep clean the gun and fix the bolt, buttplate and find a rear sight for it. The bolt alone was about 1-1/2 hours......
Oh well, it turned out good!
.0015 bigger would just be a number 3 fit

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom