Thunderbird Run 'n Gun, July 13, 2013 -- do you have what it takes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks henschman....

My run time was abysmal, as I expected, but I'm pretty happy with my shoot times.

Appleseed builds a good foundation....now back to the cardio LOL.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many of y'all would like to do a similar course with mil-surp rifles? Dan and I have some ideas, but I'd like to get a guestimate of how many would actually participate.

What all would qualify as mil-surp? Just asking, to see if i would need to go buy a gun or not.

Never mind. I saw Ted's reply.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Thunderbird Run&Gun was a good chance to wring out and validate both my gear and myself with some lessons learned on both ends. Lately I've been shooting my AKs almost exclusively due to the cost and availability, or lack thereof, of 5.56 by comparison. As the new SLR-107CR I had just finished setting up for this event went T/U with a bad FCG that Arsenal is refusing to replace I had to run the course with my SLR-107UR. This was entertaining for some folks but more on that in a bit.

In preparation for this event I had ordered and paid for a multi-purpose chest rig that will work with AK mags nearly seven weeks ago. Unfortunately, despite being listed as in stock it didn't get here until yesterday. As such I had to improvise a bit. I found that Blueforce Gear's Helium Whisper double M4 pouches work damn well for holding single AK mags. Even with the flap on first reload pouch tucked back for quick access I had zero issues with the mag coming out while crawling under obstacles, climbing gullies, working through brush, hopping fences and sliding around like a fool in the mud. I was pretty tickled with how well they worked. The gear used and not shown includes a small pack for a water bladder and criticals, EAG dump pouch and a Safariland paddle holster/ Comp-tac mag pouch to support a Glock 19.

Photo%20Jul%2013%2C%2013%2033%2006.jpg

This is a now a pretty consistent setup that I'm using for classes, matches and 'general preparedness'. To further break down what's in the picture above...

Gun: Arsenal SLR-107UR - equipped with an Ultimak rail, T-1 micro on a LT-661 mount and a SF FURY on a Thorntail. I'm still trying to find a good way to sling this thing as it's so short that it doesn't hang well, not that the standard sling mount locations help in this. So far the VTAC is working well but I need to add a quick release. When it comes down to it, calling this a 6-7 MOA gun would probably be generous. The barrel is 8.25" and the twist rate is 1:9.4"... I would say that my initial thoughts of suppressing this obnoxious ***** are on hold until I can have it rebuilt into a different format.

Armor: Mayflower LPAC, VelSyst Dyneema panels and VelSyst P-34 Lvl III plates.
Comfortable and works well for it's intended purpose but I was really wishing during the event that I had a basic plate carrier to drop the weight of the soft armor and get some extra air. Gotta run what ya brung. Other than myself only two other fellows that I know of wore armor, both plate carriers. I was the only person foolish enough to wear a brain bucket.

Brain bucket: BAE TC-2001, Team Wendy pads and X-Nape harness. This helmet is finally dialed in right for me, stays securely in place and interfaces well with the behind the head Sordins. That being said by the time I acquired the helmet, added pads, harness and found rails to fit (thanks LF!) I probably would've been ahead to just save a few hundred more and pop for an Airframe. I think they make one in XL now.

Chest rig: Mayflower UW QD, this is the plain MOLLE tactical bra that from left to right has a BFG smoke pouch, BFG Double M4 pouches x 3 and a BFG Trauma Kit Now. Normally this will have three AR mags in and if I need to do so for a class or something I can plus up to 6 mags; everything stay in balance. Normally I have a booboo pouch on the far left with lube, earplugs and a compass but I had scavenged the pouch for something else prior to this event and hadn't had time to replace it.

I was not properly in shape for this event and my only saving grace is that I was well acclimated to being out and working in weather much hotter than what we had this day. Overall the scores were a composite of the shooting and running scores; I came in 9th. I was fairly satisfied with this given all the crap I was hauling over hill, over dale and under barbed wire. The fourth stage of the match this past weekend involved getting three hits on a 18"x20" steel plate at 400yds in under a minute. Interestingly enough, of 65 competitors I placed 3rd using thirty seconds (including loading and assuming my firing position) and I used 10-11 rounds to get those hits. I also placed fourth in the next and last stage advancing from the 400yd berm to several other shooting stations up to and including the 200yd berm shooting at the same target. I was rather tickled by that.

In addition to emphasizing that I need to get back into a regular workout routine this was a bit of a gut check for me. I also need to work my shooting a carbine from awkward positions a'la the VTAC wall. That was especially a pain and the toughest shooting stage for me because by getting the muzzle device and the bezel of my SF that's the same length through the narrower slots my optic would then be cocked off to the side and I couldn't see the target with either eye. I need to ponder that. I also really want to slim down my armor even further to just a PC with the Lvl III plates fore and aft with maybe some soft panels on the side.

Things for me to think about.
Ek

cableguy221

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I somehow managed to get first on that VTAC wall despite my misses. I'm guessing people had some issues with height over before since those holes can be a ***** at awkward position. Luckily my optic/mount is pretty close to my rifle and has good angled eye relief.

I definitely need to work on distance shooting when my breathing is off. I was pretty smoked by the time I ran up to stage 4/5. Not getting my time written down for stage 3 also hurt.

The scores also made me regret going the wrong way for a while. I guess the LT in me couldn't resist getting lost for a bit.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hosed myself into 4th on the VTAC wall...forgot my reload so I had to reload and take a penalty shot. (but I did complete the obstacle right before that stage :wink2:).

For me, this was less about competing against other shooters than it was about competing against myself and my declining physical fitness and lack of trigger time. Pushing outside my comfort zone.

I rarely can make the time to shoot, I've never competed in a rifle comp before, only shot one steel challenge with my pistol and was NOT getting the right amount of exercise, even with a physically demanding job.

This event wrapped it all up into one big fat motivator and seeing older guys like imhntn complete it in style adds to the motivation.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I don't know what half those things you were talking about in your post EK but it was cool to see you run that short rifle and do so well with it. I really didn't know we were going to run through the woods and was expecting mowed trails to run down. So the running shorts and shoes. I am blessed to have a private range about 3 miles from my shop so I can go out after work or on my lunch hour and shoot and do so about once a week and then shoot a pistol match most weekends. It was a great test of equipment. I bought a dump bag from the guy selling stuff there just before I ran and that thing was great. Kept a towel in the bottom and was easy to put mags in on mag changes so I didn't lose them. I liked my rig and it was pretty comfortable. I will sure be in pants next time though. By the way, I had lunch with a shooting buddy that owns a bunch of land at Pawnee and he says he can host the winter shoot. He does quite a bit of long range rifle shooting and I think his place would be awesome. I believe he has several hundred acres up there and it would be great terrain to work on. I'll message Daniel and let him know. Look forward to seeing everyone again and it was sure fun shooting and visiting with you all.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who was the RO who's dad came down from Wichita to run the race? I met both of you but can't remember screen names to save my life....

Latest posts

Top Bottom