Tinted Tail Lights On A Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since there are a lot of LEO here I thought I would ask a question about what the law states regarding tinted tail lights on a vehicle. Not opinion, but letter of the law either Federal or State

My understanding per OSCN:

1. Shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle at the same level, as far apart as practicable, and at a height of not more than seventy-two (72) inches nor less than fifteen (15) inches;

2. Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear in normal sunlight

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...p?CiteID=82386

So the way I understand it: if a vehicle has tinted tail lights as long as they're visible at least 500' in sunlight they are legal.

Can anyone elaborate more?

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is a tinted lens a shade of color between red and amber? And visible as in I can see there are lenses on the vehicle at 500 ft or visible as to distinguish between illuminated vs not illuminated at 500 ft in normal sunlight. I would think tinted lenses might have difficulty with the latter. They are hard to see when on at night.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is a tinted lens a shade of color between red and amber?

Yes and no, when lit they are red. When unlit they are not, but they weren't before the tint either.

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After.jpg

Lit up:

Lit.jpg

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had the tails on my WS6 tinted for several years now. Even been pulled over a couple times since tinting them & never had a single word said to me about it. I don't think it's super important as long as they are not so tinted you cannot see the brake & blinker lights. I have seen some so dark there is no visible light when behind the car/truck.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is something in the books about the lenses needing reflectors of a certain color too, (amber/front, red/rear) So if you tint lenses including the reflectors, and they are unable to reflect correctly then that might cause an issue. About 10 or so years ago when it was popular to see all those white-out lamp lenses some of them were not compliant because the reflectors were not red/amber. Those companies had to stop selling them (legally) and issue a recall for the sold lenses.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You must comply with
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=82391
If your vehicle is like mine then your reflectors which are required by law must be "readily visible" at all points from 100 feet to 600 feet from your vehicle.

Tinting your reflectors will lower your ability to be seen at night, I imagine it looks cool but speaking as someone who drove all over this country in an 80,000 pound vehicle I'd like to say that the sooner I see you on the road the better your odds of returning home in one piece become.

Maybe your reflectors aren't covered by this tint?

If they are then remember the "readily visible" will be determined by the officer, even if you manage to win in court it will cost you.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my son had his tinted and he said getting pulled over was a hassle of having them tinted. he didn't mind cause he thought he was "bein cool". cops never gave him a ticket, they just said they couldn't see his lights. sounds like the law needs to be more clear(pun).

i drove his car one time and got pulled over. i had that spray on crap they sell at o"rielly"s sanded off on one of them when he got home--made him sand the other one off...

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The lights on my truck and the wife's car have been tinted for years. Never been pulled over for it. But they are easily visible from a good distance.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, whether they are legal isn't the big issue.

This is Oklahoma. Quite possibly, the most popular insurance company is called "Um, What?". I've been trying to find it on NASDAQ. They must be making a killing!

Just like the company the "out of work model"/stripper carried in her glovebox when she rear ended my wife's car. And no, her tails aren't tinted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom