Tonights turkey hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacticalii

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, this is my first year to really turkey hunt. I went a few times last year with no luck. I went out this evening with a new box call I know nothing about lol. I fiddled with the call for awhile when I heard the same noise I was making a hundred yards away or so. It took about 15 minutes to get the bird in range. Got the gun ready to go and................it was a hen. It putted around my decoys for a bit then wandered off. Went home empty handed but was pumped I actually called one in!

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First off, this is my first year to really turkey hunt. I went a few times last year with no luck. I went out this evening with a new box call I know nothing about lol. I fiddled with the call for awhile when I heard the same noise I was making a hundred yards away or so. It took about 15 minutes to get the bird in range. Got the gun ready to go and................it was a hen. It putted around my decoys for a bit then wandered off. Went home empty handed but was pumped I actually called one in!

Congrats dude. This is my first turkey season as well and so far I have yet to even see a turkey. I have a slate call, but I don't think it's loud enough to really call one in from a distance. I've been debating getting a box call as well, because I think those are louder? Hopefully someone can clear that up for me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me, you have the addiction now. :D
I could care less if I kill one or not. To me the whole experience is about getting a tom into shotgun range using the calling skills. I can't tell you how may times I've had a tom hang up out of range and just stand there and gobble. Its frustrating, but thats what its all about to me. I've been hunting a boss tom for two years now, and had him within 20 yds one time, but he was across the fence on the neighbors where I don't have permission. I didn't shoot. Enjoy your new sport:D

Tacticalii

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust me, you have the addiction now. :D

Sure do! I can see why people get a thrill just calling them. It was neat to finally hear their "sounds" in person. She did a lot of yelping (I think that's what it was) and when she got around the decoys she did quite a bit of "putt putt's."

After she wandered off I started hitting the call again and she came back. After she left again I just slipped out. Didn't want to get busted and didn't see the use in staying/callng if she was just gonna keep coming back? Anyone agree or disagree with that reasoning.....or would it have been better to keep her around the area?

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats man. I am in the same boat..... Last weekend was my first time turkey hunting, called a bearded hen in to about 20 yards (didn't know I could take a bearded hen at the time). So I let her walk around me for about 30 minutes.

Later I called in two toms and a hen, I just froze up. I watched them walk right through my shooting lane and into thick cover. I am totally kicking myself in the butt now and have nightmares about this big ol tom gobbling at me! lol But even without shooting one yet, it is extremely fun if they are talkative or responsive to calls.

Also, about the hen staying around... If you can keep her around and you hear a gobbler in the distance, do so. She may help attract the tom in by doing the calling for you and providing herself as a "live decoy".

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a bunch of people that will disagree with me, but I do NOT like having a lone hen hanging out around my decoys. If I can I will run her off or let her lose interest. Yes, she is a live decoy, which can be good. But if a tom happens to come in, more times than not he is going to pick her over that plastic turkey that just sits there and keeps throwing her voice from the trees. It has happened a few times to me. As with many animals, male turkeys seem to get a little dumb in the name of love and drop their defenses down a notch, hens do not. I've been picked off by a suspicious hen more than I have a gobbler, then they just go back in the woods and putt, putt, and putt. Only time I like a hen to come in is if she is draggin a gobbler behind her. Then I will call to her and not to him, just mimic everything she does and try to piss her off. If she comes in, good chance that he will come in too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom