Top best & worst rifle scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Schmidt & Bender, US Optics, Kahles, Zeiss, Swarovski, Night Force, March, Leupold, Steiner, Premier

There are 10 better than average brands. Other than the lower lines of Zeiss and Leupold, they may be unrealistic for your budget.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Redhead and Pursuit I have not had good luck with , they were fine for a couple months then either broke or fogged over.
Same goes for low end Bushnell.

The Redfield we had purchased in 1974 was still spot on in 2011 when it was retired from 30-30 action.
If it was not for the scratches on the glass it would still be in service. Not a top 10 but one tough scope.

Scopes today are crystal clear compared to that old relic. 30+ years and never loose zero with multiple 4 foot drop tests, and rain snow and mud tests.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We talk of the high end scopes but what do we really have on our hunting guns.
Going on 5+ years with these scopes below with no failures.
Centerpoint (air gun rated) 4-16x40, installed on 30-06 100atr (this 06 fell out of a tree at 10foot and no failure and no loss of zero.) and same scope on my savage 10fp .308.
The 2 above guns have had 4 other scopes on them, all failed.

CVA kodiak .50cal muzzle-loader Tasco 3-9x40
Mossberg 100atr in .243 another Tasco 3-9x50

Sorry folks I am a tight wad.

YMMV

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Leupold on my hunting rifles. Nikon on the wife's. (she doesn't shoot much)

A Leupold Vari-X II in 3x9 is probably all the scope most folks need. The warranty is great - and they're made in the U.S.A.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything depends on the budget.

There is the very top tier that most can't afford (like me) or don't have the rifle that warrants having such a high quality glass (like me). If your rifle won't shoot 1/4 MOA, I see no need of mounting $1k of glass on it.
With that said, I have really liked Nikon for most hunting applications and Vortex PST/Leupold/Nikon Monarch for everything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom