Top best & worst rifle scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Redhead and Pursuit I have not had good luck with , they were fine for a couple months then either broke or fogged over.
Same goes for low end Bushnell.

The Redfield we had purchased in 1974 was still spot on in 2011 when it was retired from 30-30 action.
If it was not for the scratches on the glass it would still be in service. Not a top 10 but one tough scope.

Scopes today are crystal clear compared to that old relic. 30+ years and never loose zero with multiple 4 foot drop tests, and rain snow and mud tests.

Redfield is now owned and mfg by Leupold. I have had a couple of the old Redfields and one new one. They are top notch in my book!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We talk of the high end scopes but what do we really have on our hunting guns.
Going on 5+ years with these scopes below with no failures.
Centerpoint (air gun rated) 4-16x40, installed on 30-06 100atr (this 06 fell out of a tree at 10foot and no failure and no loss of zero.) and same scope on my savage 10fp .308.
The 2 above guns have had 4 other scopes on them, all failed.

CVA kodiak .50cal muzzle-loader Tasco 3-9x40
Mossberg 100atr in .243 another Tasco 3-9x50

Sorry folks I am a tight wad.

YMMV

Eyup...and you can pick up a couple xtras ....just in case......someone elses high dollar rig Fails

ditto on the cheapo...8)

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best scopes under $600 are made by Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, Redfield(Not the same as Redhead), and Vortex in no particular order. Depending on what you are looking for would dictate what brand I ultimately chose but I really doubt very highly you'd be disappointed by any of those. If you are on a budget and want a scope built like a tank that performs well check out SWFA.

The Vortex Razor line is what the guys who come home from playing in the sand rave about. Vortex's lower end "working man's" scopes are still quality scopes in the company they keep given their pricing. Breaking the $1500 mark you are really entering some respectable glass. Nightforce, Bushnell(ERS, XRS, Elite) are well liked by those who have them, Schmidt&Bender, US Optics are the main ones that are serious money.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We talk of the high end scopes but what do we really have on our hunting guns.
Going on 5+ years with these scopes below with no failures.
Centerpoint (air gun rated) 4-16x40, installed on 30-06 100atr (this 06 fell out of a tree at 10foot and no failure and no loss of zero.) and same scope on my savage 10fp .308.
The 2 above guns have had 4 other scopes on them, all failed.

CVA kodiak .50cal muzzle-loader Tasco 3-9x40
Mossberg 100atr in .243 another Tasco 3-9x50

Sorry folks I am a tight wad.

YMMV

I'm with this guy, the fanciest two scopes I own are Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40's and I didn't even pay for those, bought them through my companies safety program. Everything else is cheap stuff.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See, I've heard this all my life. But I was told not too long ago that when the guys come home from the desert, they put on Vortex for their personal weapons and complain about the Leupold and contracts and stuff.

I've heard this too, but I'll stick with American products over asian stuff any day.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upper end.....Hensoldt, Schmidt & Bender. Then there's the Nightforce Beast, Tangent Theta (formerly was Premier). Then Kahles, US Optics, Nightforce ATAC. Then the Vortex and Nightforce NXS. Then Leupold, then other stuff, etc., etc.

It may surprise some but there are people that actually save up their money until they can buy a good quality scope.

Right now the 'best bang-fer-the-buck' is probably Nightforce and Vortex.

At the lower end of the current price range for scopes, the older Denver Redfields were ruggedly built with good optics for their time.

If you can find one of the older Redfields that is still in good condition, it should serve you very well.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For about $200 Leupold VX-I, about $300 Leupold VX-II, about $350 Zeiss ....and that's about as high as I go. I think I saw a 3-9X Zeiss Terra for $299 at Dicks Sporting Goods on sale for Black Friday and that's a very good deal.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with most of the above threads -- but it really comes down to Personal Pref., ego, and Reticle Choice/options/layout

As much as I don't care for Leupy - Their Mark 4 and 6 line have held their own...... Several of the TOP ones have had issues.........so no one is immune. So are they truly the best when people have issues and CS stinks???

So lets go with What have most been happy with: Bolt Action or LR Type Rifle Scopes

Overall One and Done = Nightforce NXS and ATACR, Vortex HD, SB, USO, Hensoldt, Khales, Premier, Steiner's newest T5Xi ??, BUSHY Elite Tactical XRS/ERS and HDMR, Leupy Mark 4 and 6, many happy with SWFA's SS HD too.

"Budget Belters -- Vortex PST, LR or HS-T, Bushy Elites, Weaver Tact???, Zeiss Conquest, SWFA, etc

PART 2: AR OPTICS

"Top Choices'' - Aimpoint, Trijicon, EoTech, Vortex, Bushy Elite Tact., SWFA HD, Elcan?, SB, Nightforce, USO, Leupy Marks......

Latest posts

Top Bottom