Top best & worst rifle scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with most of the above threads -- but it really comes down to Personal Pref., ego, and Reticle Choice/options/layout

As much as I don't care for Leupy - Their Mark 4 and 6 line have held their own...... Several of the TOP ones have had issues.........so no one is immune. So are they truly the best when people have issues and CS stinks???

So lets go with What have most been happy with: Bolt Action or LR Type Rifle Scopes

Overall One and Done = Nightforce NXS and ATACR, Vortex HD, SB, USO, Hensoldt, Khales, Premier, Steiner's newest T5Xi ??, BUSHY Elite Tactical XRS/ERS and HDMR, Leupy Mark 4 and 6, many happy with SWFA's SS HD too.

"Budget Belters -- Vortex PST, LR or HS-T, Bushy Elites, Weaver Tact???, Zeiss Conquest, SWFA, etc

PART 2: AR OPTICS

"Top Choices'' - Aimpoint, Trijicon, EoTech, Vortex, Bushy Elite Tact., SWFA HD, Elcan?, SB, Nightforce, USO, Leupy Marks......

From my experience with customer service on scopes, if you have a problem with a Hensoldt, expect it to either be replaced here or it will go back to Europe for repairs. If you have a problem with Schmidt & Bender, it will be serviced here in the US and I have only needed them once during the past 25 or so years.....earlier this year and they turned it around in about a week with no charge on an 8 year-old scope that had been used/abused and traveled with me for several thousand miles. Nightforce Customer Service is also located here in the US, and has been good to work with. US Optics is here in the US, and has been good to work with anytime I've had a problem with one of their scopes, even when I was not the original purchaser.

As for other scopes, Leupold was very good about CS until I sent one back to them in 2006 that would not "track" (scope less than 3 months old) and they wanted to charge me for fixing/replacing it. So, I have not purchased another Leupold since.

You indicated several scope manufacturers as having problems, but did you have actual experience with all (or any) of these?

Danwm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear of no one talking about PENTAX scopes, I have a PENTAX GAMESEEKER 11 4x16x50 mounted on my 06 and it has preformed very well. Most of my shots are under 100yds for deer and wild pigs. I am a average shot not great and not bad. Limit on deer each every year and lots of pigs. The scope cost $140.00 or there abouts.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Udiablo --- My comment was a reality check for persons who think that if they spend 2-4K on an optic, they will NOT have a problem..........Thus, selecting a scope with a reputable company (CS) SHOULD equate to long term use, even if there is a problem, vs frustration and angst.

My opin is that most CS departments have been getting a swift kick in the butt to improve in order to retain clientbase as Vortex continues to grow......... Not saying they are the "Best'', but a darn good product vs $$ with good quality ranges and Excellent customer service.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Redfield Revolution. Made in Oregon by Leupold, but a tank of gas cheaper than a Leupold last time I checked. They also come in various flavors. However, not all Redfields are made in USA in Leupold factories.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went broke saving money on cheap scopes. Leupold is my mainstay now; never had a problem. I have a Redfield Royal 3X-9X my brother-in-law gave me in the late 70's; I've had it mounted on a Ruger 77 .280 for over 30 years and the adjustments have never been moved. My son-in-law hunts with it, lots of tree stand, 4-wheeler, pickup riding & bumping around. I fired two shots with it Wednesday and they were almost touching dead center 1 1/2" over the bull @ 100 yards. Ready to go!

I also have two Nikon ProStaff scopes - 4X on my Ruger 77/44 .44 mag and 2X-7X on my Ruger 77/50 black powder. They have had some recoil- no problem. Only thing about them is the price has jumped quite a bit in the past few years. I would probably put a few more bucks down for a Leupold VX-I.

I'm not afraid of used Leupold scopes - I bought a Vari-X III last year for my 6mm and just bought a Vari-XII off our local buy,sell,trade for 50 bucks. Wow! - not my usual luck at all.

My philosophy after 40+ years shooting/hunting/reloading/buying/selling swapping is that paying more for my scope than my rifle is not a bad thing. I've seen a hell of a lot more scopes go south during deer season than rifles.

Cedar Creek

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't hunt/shoot as far anymore. I've grown fond of the mid powered old classic Weaver & Redfields.
I've only got a couple guns good enough for shooting much farther than 300 yards and they sport Luepolds. But in reality they probably won't be shot over 100 yards.
Some of my Handis have Simmons & Bushnel on them and they serve thier purpose.
I have stumbled across a really good cheap scope for my 45-70 guns. Simmon Pro-Diamond shotgun scopes really take the pounding so far. Maybe 3-400 rounds down them without any failure. You do kind of have to get used to the diamond reticle but not a big deal.

Sent from Missile Silo 341A

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Schmidt & Bender, US Optics, Kahles, Zeiss, Swarovski, Night Force, March, Leupold, Steiner, Premier

There are 10 better than average brands. Other than the lower lines of Zeiss and Leupold, they may be unrealistic for your budget.

Agreed with the above choices. I have several high end scopes and they preform as expected. I prefer German optics (kahles are my favorite) but best to you and someone else Depends on your intended purpose and budget. For mid range (price) leupold vxiii and vxll are good sightron meopta older burris signature series and Korean made bushnell as well as Nikon buck master scopes work well. Vortex has some good features and good glass as well as the best customer service in the industry. The worst are BSA barska Simmons barska and the newer tasco (older Simmons and tascos where good scopes) Pentax and barska aren't very good either. I find myself buying premier kahles and zeiss more and more (I'm a glass whore) buy what you can afford that fits your intend use best and go shoot. Zeiss conquest is my favorite sub 800 dollar scope and can be found much cheaper often. Look at reticle needs and features as well.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best scope?? Why don't we talk about something that everyone can agree on like religion, politics, baseball, or redheads? What I can say without much disagreement though is I consider BSA to be the worst.

Latest posts

Top Bottom