Tough Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its going to be tough hunting at one of my places this year. There is a bumper plus acorn crop this year. Pulled into my land yesterday evening and there was three bucks standing under a big ole acorn tree they ran off. I went and feed the fish and put out some rice bran. I drove back by acorn tree the three bucks where back standing in same spot. I had only been gone 30 mins or so. I thought I bet some acorns are starting to fall. This morning I went to put camera on rice bran when I came back by oak tree drove over and found these under it. There is 100s of them still on tree. When I get back in three days will see if the bucks will hit the rice bran ( 1/2 mile away) or will they just stay on the acorns.

Attachments

• acorns.jpg
    acorns.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 186

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's brutal for the season when the acorn crop is heavy. Last year the acorn crop was great and the hunting was terrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes.
My buddy's daughter was in a sorority in Norman. He took her down there and the oak acorns were thick on the ground. A groundkeeper was gathering them up with a machine, so he had the back of his pickup filled up.
We put them on the hunting areas that had no oaks.
It took weeks before they tried them. It was not a natural food source for them, and shy'd away from them. Camera's proved it. Apples the same way. Took buckets of apples to the feeder. The deer ignored them for awhile, but finally started eating them. It took awhile though.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it only works in east Texas, but my Grandfather used to rake up water oak acorns in his yard, put them in two liter coke bottles and leave them around his stand. The deer would literally destroy the plastic bottles to get to the acorns.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why don't you just setup on their favorite tree? :blush::bolt:
Where I live I have 2 different spots of 100 acres plus of solid oak trees. There is no such as favorite tree they lay down wake up where ever they are at and eat. The food and their bedding area are the same. You just have to hunt pinch points during the rut. And when they eat acorns they have to have water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom