Tough Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does make stand placement a touch easier. At least, I think so. Lol

Stand placement is definitely easier with trees, but that's why they make tripods.:thumb:

I've lost several big cottonwoods over the last several years, and the lean to's have been replaced with tripods and ground blinds.

My Dad believed all feeders needed to be "hanging" to keep from spooking the deer, but with the loss of the cottonwoods, I've had to transition to leg feeders and have killed two of my largest bucks on their way to a leg feeder.

Last edited:

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fields? Lol the closest thing to a field nearby is a 20 yard opening in the trees with some grass. Where I hunt is 90+% oak. Patterning there isn't as you say.

Sounds like your own personal piece of heaven. Plenty of hunters stay in the woods all season long. Rub lines, scrapes, bedding areas, trails, are all tools you can use to pattern deer. The woods I grew up hunting were mostly oak and offered plenty of acorns but deer still behaved in some predictable ways. The pic I posted above was from 5 years ago and the following pic is from a couple nights ago. You could walk through these woods and find a very similar scene so far as trees and clearings are concerned every 25 yards. Yet we are still able to predict with relative certainty where the deer will be at a given time of day just like feeder and foodplot hunters. Difference is, we don't have to wait as long on those evening hunts hoping they'll emerge before sunset.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160920_61706ce8253bd83e4b1ee3623df0f509.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160920_c586510c0687d068755abea1c52bf816.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For deer. Your turkeys disappear add the cottonwoods do, generally speaking of course. Lol
That's what happened to my turkey hotspot on the river. 90mph straight winds toppled the giant cottonwoods and sycamores. Haven't seen a bird in there since.
Found a dead 10 point under one of them. His skull is on my shop wall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom