Tough Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The patterning should be easy enough regarding trails, but deer on public land go nocturnal very fast. I recently moved to a different area of the land to focus further away from idiots, so I'm starting from square one on scouting. I started too figure it out, then 2 new guys showed up and started hunting wrong winds, walking through bedding areas to get to stands, etc. I didn't even see a fawn after November 10th last year.

That sucked, but I spent more time scouting this off season for both deer, and the other hunters. I'll figure it out yet.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
huntemup what you said about patterning deer in acorns might work where you live. But here where I hunt the timber is really thick and when we have a bumper crop like this year acorns are on every tree I have 100 acres by the first of November you will not be able to place your foot on the ground without stepping on acorns. What our deer do in this circumstance is bed down right in the food source. They get up eat a few acorns lay back down and get up eat a few more then bed again at night they will come and hit a wheat field maybe and find them a drink of water. but during daylight hours they are going to be in timber. If your going to kill one around here better have some funnels or pinch point to hunt trying to catch a buck on the move looking for does. before videos I would read about stalking deer in the timber I would think how the hell do you do that then when videos came out and I seen some of their timber back east big trees and you can see 25 to 100 yards. My place you have to crawl through it as much or more then walking through it. And back east there is a lot other trees beside just oak trees so ya if you find a spot where there is good acorns in a certain spot you can hunt it, But when the hole 100 acres is a good acorn spot then the game changes. I been hunting these acorns for 40 years. By the way that's a great buck in your pic.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you dont have a lot of cattle farmers around, bury a salt/mineral block where you can set up a blind/tree stand, and put atop the area some sweet corn, apples, carrots, until you see sign that a LOT of deer using the "lick". A month or so before the season opens, again do the thing with the apples. But you can't actually HUNT over bait. So a week or so before season opens, you can't be using the apples anymore.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you dont have a lot of cattle farmers around, bury a salt/mineral block where you can set up a blind/tree stand, and put atop the area some sweet corn, apples, carrots, until you see sign that a LOT of deer using the "lick". A month or so before the season opens, again do the thing with the apples. But you can't actually HUNT over bait. So a week or so before season opens, you can't be using the apples anymore.

Okeydoke!!!
img.photobucket.com_albums_v712_retrieverman_thumbsup2.gif

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if there's too many other salt blocks available, this wont work worth a hoot. guys have been known to go remove such salt blocks, a month or 2 before season opens. :-)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not just hoping but literally praying that the cool front brings in some new bucks to my place. My season is looking pretty bleak as of now with only one mature buck on 6 cameras.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad its supposed to cool down and I need the rain on my food plots, but, I only have a couple shooters showing up at one farm, which is a place that is next to impossible to bow hunt. My other farm has a bunch of does and fawns but I have not gotten a single buck pic at that place yet, and it is a great place for bow hunting. I don't even have stands and blinds out at that place yet, I am way behind and starting to feel like I may not be hunting until the second or third week of October.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not just hoping but literally praying that the cool front brings in some new bucks to my place. My season is looking pretty bleak as of now with only one mature buck on 6 cameras.

The curse of cameras...I fully believe there are bucks that avoid cameras no matter how you set them up. Knowing your success the last several years, your anxiety is unfounded. lol I'm sure you'll get surprised soon enough.

I don't usually get any bucks on camera until after season opens and bachelor groups start breaking up. This includes spikes/forks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom