Tough Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. When 90% of the trees are oaks, and the white oaks are already bare, it's impossible (or at least seems to be) to find the deer as they don't have to move to find food. Especially when they have water everywhere. Total crap shoot.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Down here, white oak acorns have always seemed to be the first choice of deer and hogs followed by red oak, and they will eat water oaks last. The water oak acorns are smaller and bitter, but there is almost always a ton of them.

I guess in a way I'm fortunate that I don't have an oak tree of my place on the river.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess in a way I'm fortunate that I don't have an oak tree of my place on the river.

Very much so. When that's all that is around, it can be near impossible to get a deer to show up to a feeder. Tried it for 3 years at a place near Pink, OK. Even in January, the most regular deer were was twice a week. Aggravating as heck. My feeder is still there, unused.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Living in east Texas and having hunted here for over 40 years, I definitely feel your pain. The place my brother and I have hunted since 1994 is a mix of plantation pines and oak bottom (about 2/3 plantation pine), and all of the permanent stands are in the bottom or on food plots). Once the acorns start to drop, I use climbers and hunt trails, and it's worked well for me.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I only use a climber, but having focused on different ground since 2013 and having the twins, I'm having to slowly learn new areas. Aggravating beyond belief.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
acorns won. I put rice bran out Thursday evening. I seen. Went back Friday morning and deer had alreadty found rice bran and eaten some put some corn out and put up camera. was gone 3 days came back notiing had touch ricebran or corn and no pics. where I seen three bucks lots of tracks and acorns on the ground. guess I need to put camera on acorns

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny how some of you okies see the acorns as a problem. It's a food source you can pattern them by just like any other. You know what they're eating. Get out of the open fields and get back into the woods. Set up on their trails and use the acorns to your advantage.

These deer are eating acorns, so guess where my stand was hanging?

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160919_ae32d797d202b1e86e608b1326cef82d.jpg

Last edited:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny how some of you okies see the acorns as a problem. It's a food source you can pattern them by just like any other. You know what they're eating. Get out of the open fields and get back into the woods. Set up on their trails and use the acorns to your advantage.

Fields? Lol the closest thing to a field nearby is a 20 yard opening in the trees with some grass. Where I hunt is 90+% oak. Patterning there isn't as you say.

Latest posts

Top Bottom