Toy guns for kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you define as toy guns? Nerf guns, water guns, BB, and pellet? It's your kid but there is nothing wrong with a kid having nerf or water guns. BB/pellet/.22 I don't think I will let my kids use those until about 10ish and always with supervision.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teach him gun safety, that every gun is to be assumed loaded and to treat even play guns as if they are real and you will be doing him a favor. Obviously it is OK to shoot each other with nerf guns, but teach him the difference.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kid has toy guns and real guns, and we have plenty of loaded unsecured firearms in the house as well.

He treats his "toy" guns just like the real thing with one exception. He isn't afraid to turn that M4 airsoft on an opponent and hose them down when he plays airsoft. Holy hell there is nothing soft about those things. Other than that he practices muzzle control and trigger finger discipline. He started out with water guns and cap guns, nerf guns. Been working on him since he was 3.

I kinda miss the nerf days... they didn't leave welts all over my hide if I was foolish enough to lead the charge into the warzone.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All very good advice and ideas. Thanks guys, I will talk with the wifey and see what she is comfortable with. I can't wait till he is old enough to take shooting!

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son turned 6 last month. I don't allow him to have toy guns of any kind. He sees mine almost daily. We talk about guns all the time. But I don't want him to have to decide what is real and what is a toy if he's somewhere else until he's older. So for now, he's taught everything is real. He'll have plenty of time to develop a passion for the hobby but at 6 years old, I'm okay with him having a passion for Legos and soccer.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two year old has way too many toy guns. He carries them around with him and occasionally will jump out from behind something and yell "bang, bang" at me. I couldn't imagine a childhood without toy guns.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you taping his fingers together or something? I was at Chick-Fil-A with the guy to the left today and there were 4 or 5 toy "guns" that I saw on their playground. Teach him well and the rest as BB says is up to God.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is three and he doesn't even know what a gun is. I figure he doesn't need to know about guns and killing just yet. I'll eventually introduce him to shooting and hunting, but just not yet. I'll let him live in a world free of violence for awhile. After I've taught him about guns I'll decide if he should have toy guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom