Toy guns for kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsgomezclan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All true. I'm trying to be the best parent I can. I have kids from 19 down to two, so far so good!

Hey, us too- oldest is 19, youngest is 10 months :-D

I went through a phase of non violence once in my parenting. I didnt even want them to play with army guys or battleship. It didnt last long at all, lol.
i would rather forget about it but they like to embarrass me by bringing it up. " remember when you wouldnt let us...?"

Sometimes i just look back and shake my head at myself, but in the long run its better to have made a few decisions that you change your mind about than to parent by default, just letting peers or society raise them for you.
whatever you and your wife decide to do, at least you are making your own attempt at parenting. You should respect yourselves for that.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, us too- oldest is 19, youngest is 10 months :-D

I went through a phase of non violence once in my parenting. I didnt even want them to play with army guys or battleship. It didnt last long at all, lol.
i would rather forget about it but they like to embarrass me by bringing it up. " remember when you wouldnt let us...?"

Sometimes i just look back and shake my head at myself, but in the long run its better to have made a few decisions that you change your mind about than to parent by default, just letting peers or society raise them for you.
whatever you and your wife decide to do, at least you are making your own attempt at parenting. You should respect yourselves for that.

Thank you! If I can get him to stop dancing to the music on commercials, I might start teaching him tactical barrel rolls! I'm sure as time goes on I will find the right way and time to introduce guns to him. I just want to be smart about it, with the girls this was a non issue, he already mimics me holding a gun.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
All I got to say is that things are pretty messed up when you have to worry about a two year old boy having a toy gun to play with.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son, now 17, always had toy guns. We got him a Red Ryder when he's 3 or 4. We stressed the difference between it and his toys. He seemed to know the difference.

Today he is one of the best shooters I know. He makes myself, my BIl, and friends look silly in shooting competitions at the farm. I also feel safer around him than some adults around firearms.

Start them early. My son has always known where the guns are in my home. He was able to see them anytime I was around, it took alot of curiosity out them. He also knew id kick his tail if he looked when I wasn't around.

Good Luck! You'll know what to do. Ever kid is different and may need a different approach.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I came to the US I was five years old. We moved to a small 300 acre farm near Lake Placid, NY. My brother was nine. Dad let us go shooting his .22s unsupervised. Different world today.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always had toy guns growing up and started shooting when i was 9. My son has toy guns and i'm sure he'll grow up to like guns just like his old man.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried to think of some way to do something similar with my son, but it didn't work. He is 4 now and has plenty of toy guns, and I get him and his sister (6) outside and let them shoot the .22 while sitting in my lap. They go to the range with me now while I sight in, and shoot clays, and I look forward to taking them hunting with me. I've already taken them out muzzleloader hunting, although we didn't see anything, and my son went squirrel hunting with me a week or so ago and we shot a squirrel.

But what I mean by it didn't work was when he was 2 years old, I don't think he had ever seen any of my guns used, and never seen it on TV either. But he would pick up sticks, brooms, any straight object, and call it his "gun" and making shooting noises with it. It's like it is just ingrained in his DNA to know what a gun is and how it's used. No toy guns for him, he made his own, even though I didn't know he even knew what a gun was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom