Trying to understand this section.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand this section of the Conceal Carry Law.
Business Owner's Rights:

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.
B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

What I am trying to figure out is If a private business says "No Firearms" does that mean I can't carry in there due to this section of the law? Or is this law stating that the business can't prevent me from carrying on their property? New @ Concealed Carry and trying to understand my rights. I looked in this section but it's only 3 pages. Couldn't find a direct answer.
Thanks in advance!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand this section of the Conceal Carry Law.
Business Owner's Rights:

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.
B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

What I am trying to figure out is If a private business says "No Firearms" does that mean I can't carry in there due to this section of the law? Or is this law stating that the business can't prevent me from carrying on their property? New @ Concealed Carry and trying to understand my rights. I looked in this section but it's only 3 pages. Couldn't find a direct answer.
Thanks in advance!

Yes. This section allows property owners to decide if you can possess weapons on their property. Section B provides one exception to that and says that they cannot prohibit you from merely storing a firearm in your vehicle on that same property.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll find several threads addressing this issue in the Legal/2nd A sub-forum. From my reading, there is widespread disagreement over whether it is legal to carry in a private business that posts a no gun sign.

To me, it is no different than if a business posts a "no cell phones" sign. If I take a cell phone in there, they can ask me to leave. If I don't, the police come and I'm guilty of a crime.

But like I said, you'll hear the whole spectrum of opinions on this one, and there is little in the way of case law or interpretive opinions (ie from attys general, judges, etc) to indicate a clear answer. To my knowledge, no one has been prosecuted for violating a gun-buster sign in OK.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll find several threads addressing this issue in the Legal/2nd A sub-forum. From my reading, there is widespread disagreement over whether it is legal to carry in a private business that posts a no gun sign.

Actually, the disagreement or confusion revolves around what penalty one may incur for ignoring a property owners request/restriction on possession.

The law is very clear that property owners reserve the right to limit your possession of weapons on private property, with one exception for storing in a vehicle.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also realize if your an employee of the company with the no weapons sign and you carry, You can be fired on the spot with no recourse for violating company policy. Doesn't have to be in a employee handbook. Cause the notice is on the door. A slightly sleazy way to selectively get rid of certain employees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom