Turkey 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t doubt that some selfish SOB’s did kill turkeys on youth weekend, but kids are the future of hunting and need to be “courted” to get them firmly hooked on continuing the tradition. With all the other activities kids are offered today, I don’t view giving them an early shot at hunting success to be a very big “inconvenience“ if it ensures they want to continue hunting. :anyone:
I am curious though, how many parents take kids just so they can shoot their animals? There is no way to know but I bet that number is higher than we would like to think.

Not specific to this but similar, I do know and if I have witnessed it once, I have 25 times people dragging every relative and friend they have to blind drawings. I remember once seeing a 90+ year old lady at blind draw and I bet my 401k that she does not hunt, instead she is there to scam the system.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious though, how many parents take kids just so they can shoot their animals? There is no way to know but I bet that number is higher than we would like to think.

Not specific to this but similar, I do know and if I have witnessed it once, I have 25 times people dragging every relative and friend they have to blind drawings. I remember once seeing a 90+ year old lady at blind draw and I bet my 401k that she does not hunt, instead she is there to scam the system.
Yep, one of the reasons there are no duck blinds on Liberty lake anymore. 6-10 guys would draw up all the blind areas and then they would hunt together at the best one.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kids mess it up for you huh? Lmao...
Yeah, let's keep teaching them their special by giving them their own head start. Their season is a week longer because of it. If the population is that decimated that the season needs to be changed, then maybe more changes are needed. Absolutely no reason kids should be treated any better. Learn to hunt pressured animals like everyone else.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, let's keep teaching them their special by giving them their own head start. Their season is a week longer because of it. If the population is that decimated that the season needs to be changed, then maybe more changes are needed. Absolutely no reason kids should be treated any better. Learn to hunt pressured animals like everyone else.
You’re taking the exact opposite position that I take with kids and hunting. In my opinion, the only way to get kids hooked on hunting (and fishing) is to set them up for success. If it means I may be a little inconvenienced or have to forgo a hunt for myself to give a kid a successful hunt, it seems like a small price to pay to me. :anyone:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A week? It's two days, read the regs.....

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You’re taking the exact opposite position that I take with kids and hunting. In my opinion, the only way to get kids hooked on hunting (and fishing) is to set them up for success. If it means I may be a little inconvenienced or have to forgo a hunt for myself to give a kid a successful hunt, it seems like a small price to pay to me. :anyone:

He may live up above Whoville.

grinchsmall20heart.jpg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny. Anytime I took a kid hunting, I was a lot more interested in seeing them get a chance at taking game, or at least seeing game, than I was in getting an opportunity myself. Come to think of it, I don't believe I ever even considered taking a shot when I had a youngster along to hunt.

ETA: Oooppss! Gotta' modify that. Bird hunting. Everybody was shooting, but kids got first shots!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom