Turkey hunting success pics(post em here)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Congrats to all you guys..

Only the fourth time I've been out all year, I'm 3 for 4 on my success rate, well not mine, just people that I've been calling for..

Called this one in for my sister Saturday in the rain, We saw another gobbler from the county road on property that borders the place we can hunt, so we set up on him and tried to call him across the fence.. We circled around and got in front of him, and I started calling.. About 10 minutes into calling I hear him getting closer and closer.. I called to refresh his memory where I was and I hear 3 other gobbles coming from the complete opposite direction.. Then about 20 minutes pass and my sister says there he is..! I look to the right and here is the first tom we set up on with a hen in tow.. They came to the top of this little hill overlooking the field and stop.. All this time the other 3 longbeards are heading our direction.. On the way they picked up a jake also that charged in the fastest.. By this time we forgot about the other tom to the right and wanted to try and double on the 3 in front.. The jake charged in to the strutter and the other three were hangin back about 30 yards.. The jake pegged us and started to get spooked.. my sister had a large tree in front that she had to let them get by before she shot.. She shot with her 870 20 ga and dropped the front bird, I was pointing the opposite direction so I had to stand up, and step to the side to get a shot and by this time they were 45-50 yards and I whiffed.. cant complain for a rainy day, and alot of gobbling...

ai265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_hannahturkey1.jpg

ai265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_hannahturkey.jpg

20 pounds 3/4 inch spurs 9-3/4" beard - Pawnee County

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first actual spring turkey. I've put the sneak on some, and rifle shot a few in the fall.

I decided I was going to hunt by myself this year. With the addition of my 2 month old son to the family I didn't get started at season open. I bought a slate call, decoys, seat/vest, and that new gun-slate holder last week. Finally get a nice evening, not too windy, not raining, all honey-dos are up to date yesterday after work. about 6:15 I slip out to the garage, camo up, and break out all my new toys. hop on the 4 wheeler, slip down to the creek bottom below the house about 1/2 mile.
6:30 I drop my gun and vest at the tree I'm gonna lean against and unload the decoys. struggle with the stake-pivot thingys and get 3 very generic looking styrofoam dummies set up at about 12 yards. get my seat arranged all comfy and start trying to figure out this slate holder. gun laying in my lap, no gloves, no mask, slate still in my pocket, and I hear drumming.
There is a lone tom bee lining in down the treeline to my 3 oclock staring straight at me. I get that "oh ****" feeling, and freeze. he drums around a bit and I'm inching my gun up slowly. he gets behind a couple trees at my 2 oclock, and I get my gun to my shoulder. At this point I felt like it was a done deal, all but pulling the trigger. I watch and admire while he struts and strums, I can clearly see he is a mature bird with a decent beard. he comes within about 5 yards of my decoys, directly at my 12 oclock, about 15 yards out, and I'm starting to fear he might spook. I drop the hammer and it's all over.

I'm like the Turkey Whisperer. Less than 10 minutes from start to boom and I never even got my call out of my vest.

8 1/2" beard, 3/4" smooth spurs. I forgot to weigh it because I'm a noob.

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_photo3.jpg

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_photo2.jpg

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_photo1.jpg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first actual spring turkey. I've put the sneak on some, and rifle shot a few in the fall.

I decided I was going to hunt by myself this year. With the addition of my 2 month old son to the family I didn't get started at season open. I bought a slate call, decoys, seat/vest, and that new gun-slate holder last week. Finally get a nice evening, not too windy, not raining, all honey-dos are up to date yesterday after work. about 6:15 I slip out to the garage, camo up, and break out all my new toys. hop on the 4 wheeler, slip down to the creek bottom below the house about 1/2 mile.
6:30 I drop my gun and vest at the tree I'm gonna lean against and unload the decoys. struggle with the stake-pivot thingys and get 3 very generic looking styrofoam dummies set up at about 12 yards. get my seat arranged all comfy and start trying to figure out this slate holder. gun laying in my lap, no gloves, no mask, slate still in my pocket, and I hear drumming.
There is a lone tom bee lining in down the treeline to my 3 oclock staring straight at me. I get that "oh ****" feeling, and freeze. he drums around a bit and I'm inching my gun up slowly. he gets behind a couple trees at my 2 oclock, and I get my gun to my shoulder. At this point I felt like it was a done deal, all but pulling the trigger. I watch and admire while he struts and strums, I can clearly see he is a mature bird with a decent beard. he comes within about 5 yards of my decoys, directly at my 12 oclock, about 15 yards out, and I'm starting to fear he might spook. I drop the hammer and it's all over.

I'm like the Turkey Whisperer. Less than 10 minutes from start to boom and I never even got my call out of my vest.

8 1/2" beard, 3/4" smooth spurs. I forgot to weigh it because I'm a noob.

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_photo3.jpg

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_photo2.jpg

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_photo1.jpg

As Mr. Miagi said on the Karate Kid, "You beginner luck." LOL Good going and a nice bird.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice birds and a good storys for both Brian89 and tjones96761.
tjones96761, my first bird came just about like that. I saw some on a creek and put the sneak on them. Got the call out and stuck my head over a little ridge, and there it was. Not a quality bird like yours, but a jake.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a couple of birds I took on Friday in western Oklahoma. 1st bird came on the 4th set up of the morning. 1st set up, we set up in a clearing behind an old pond dam (dry pond) and I started calling. 2 hens immediately came over the top and 5 more came through the big wash out. I kept them entertained for a bit hoping they would help coax in a gobbler by answering me. No luck...move on the 2nd and 3rd set up. Saw a bird off in the distance about 500 yards, but the wind had picked up to 30 mph and calling didn't carry very far. No such luck. I had drove back to the first area to see some 3 turkey headed to the round hay bales. We did a sneak through the tree cover to the edge of the trees and the start of the crp ground. I hit the call a few strokes and nothing. They can't hear me...I watch them a little and notice they are slowly working toward me. I hit the call a few more strokes when both toms gobble and leave there hen in a steady gait my direction. I call one more time turning my call away from them to make em think the hen is moving away. They both gobble and pick up the pace. I nailed my first bird of the morning and my buddy missed his. We gather up and meet a 3rd guy that said he would take us out that afternoon after checking cattle.
1st bird. 7 inch beard and 3/4" spurs
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_2010turkey1.jpg

He was showing us some of the places to hunt when we saw 2 long beards in the edge of the wheat field. They were headed the direction of the creek bottom. We hurried to get in a position ahead of them and hit the call a few times. Wind gusts were approaching 40-45 mph in our face and I knew the sound wasn't carrying. We dropped into the creek and moved in closer and came up for a peek. There they are, about 20 yards out and there are about 8-10 turkey. Some red heads some hens. I whisper to my buddy to come up ready to shoot and pick a red head and nail him. As he moved up I readied my gun as well. I had a bead on mine and on the sound of gunfire and squeezed off my round. I was baffled to only see 1 tom down for the count. The one I had shot at. During the rush of switching trucks I didn't get my camera so I am without a in the field pic of the second bird.
He has an 8 inch beard and 7/8" spurs. Pic of both birds, I was forced to take by myself as my buddy had other engagements he had to attend. The timer on my camera doesn't give enough time to pose very well.
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_2010turkey2.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice bird tjones96761 and don't worry bout the weight, that only matters when you are paying by the pound at the grocery store.:w000t:

Brian89 good job on guiding your sis on a hunt. Looks like a very nice turkey and your sis is nice looking too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom