Turning 21 soon and looking into purchasing a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

321sage

If you want to try out different guns, go to H&H, last I checked (been years though) it was $9/ea to rent a handgun on their range. Try different guns that way. The other -better- way, is to be friendly and courteous to other shooters on the range, and mention what you did here: that you're looking for a first handgun that you will carry. Most other people would offer to let you shoot something of theirs if they had something that qualified.

I know I have shot many guns doing that, and many people have shot mine.

Yeah, I plan on going to H&H or a place like it but I wanted to kinda limit the selection a bit before I went as that could get costly otherwise. Thanks for the tip though.

321sage

Do me a favor... get a hold of Will Anderson (oklahoma shooting skills)he's online) and beg or borrow any fighting caliber handgun you care to try. For $80 bucks you will save more of that thousand rounds than the $80 and four hours of your life will cost you.

I am not shooting the 1000 rounds to "learn how to shoot." I just would like to 1. have the fun of shooting that many and 2. If anything is going to go wrong, it will after that many rounds. I may not shoot that many rounds but I will shoot quite a bit even if I do take a class.

Would you rather me take a class and then start carry the gun and not get fimiliar with it by actually shooting it a decent amount?

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not shooting the 1000 rounds to "learn how to shoot." I just would like to 1. have the fun of shooting that many and 2. If anything is going to go wrong, it will after that many rounds. I may not shoot that many rounds but I will shoot quite a bit even if I do take a class.

Would you rather me take a class and then start carry the gun and not get fimiliar with it by actually shooting it a decent amount?

What I am trying to tell you is ...it's really easy to pick up some really bad habits that will take a long time to fix. Get a CCW (the legal hurdle) and get some quality instruction before you get commited to bad habits.

Yea... pretty form goes away under stress.. but the you will operate at the lowest level of training under stress...the less you know .... they lower the reaction when the time comes to rely on that knowlege. There are some pretty basic things that a well trained person will keep under stress that will mean the difference between a hit or a miss under pressure.

Perfect Practice predicts perfect PERFOMANCE.

321sage

I will probably get some training at some point but for now I need to pick out a gun. No sense in worrying about training until I actually have a handgun of my own.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even with the benefits of TV editing, Jay proved that "luck" only gets you so far. Who was he arguing with about pistol shooting? "Just show me how to shoot fast" was the most telling dialouge of that whole season.

Jay is an idiot.

Golf instructor eliminated two competitors that shoot pistols for living ... WITH A PISTOL ... that's no luck. Jay told professional instructors to 'shove it' with their tacticool stance and grip ... and won both pistol shoot-offs. Lack of understanding of "time available" vs "student's skill" vs "goal" is not student's fault.
If namecalling is your best argument ... well, whatever, I guess.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Review the tape...Jay's teacupping excuse for a grip for starters. As I said before luck will get you so far...He folded up like a house of cards when he finally got eliminated.

I am not the only guy in America that thought he was an idiot.

If you choose a "more powerful" caliber because you think it's power will make up for you marginal shooting ability with it, then you're a fool. Just remember, the world doesn't suffer fools lightly. "
-Glocktogo
You may wish to actually read that sig line buddy....^^^^^^^^^^^^

Latest posts

Top Bottom