Turning 21 soon and looking into purchasing a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA... some of these guys actually shoot now and then....

Wait till we beat the rest of the dead horse team over Official Contact with LEO while armed under the OK SDA laws!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Review the tape...Jay's teacupping excuse for a grip for starters. As I said before luck will get you so far...He folded up like a house of cards when he finally got eliminated.
He wasn't rolling dice ... he was hitting targets, despite using "teacup" grip, better than the other guy. Not changing his grip scored him wins; he did it twice - you can't call it luck. You can personally hate the guy - you just can't change that he won pistol eliminations against MUCH more qualified opponents.

321sage: the argument is on topic:
I believe that unless you want to compete in some sort of game-type sport, just regular/occasional shooting to your best ability is enough for average CCW holder.

On the other hand - there is a notion that you need to learn "proper" "tactical" "techniques" regardless of your involvement in sports.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA... some of these guys actually shoot now and then....

Wait till we beat the rest of the dead horse team over Official Contact with LEO while armed under the OK SDA laws!

321sage

321sage: the argument is on topic:
I believe that unless you want to compete in some sort of game-type sport, just regular/occasional shooting to your best ability is enough for average CCW holder.

On the other hand - there is a notion that you need to learn "proper" "tactical" "techniques" regardless of your involvement in sports.

Please point out where I asked about the proper way to hold a gun and I will gladly retract my statement. I know that one that shoots a gun will need to know things about grip and such but that it not the purpose of this thread. The sole purpose of this thread is a request for knowledge of good handguns that would work for my hand size and could be easily concealed with my build type from those that know more about handguns than me. Although what you two are argueing about may be relevant for good knowledge of handling a gun this is still not the place.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have a PF-9. Good ultra-compact "carry when you can't carry" gun, but NOT what I'd recommend for your first handgun. I realize you've shot before, but my statement stands.

For a couple reasons.
1 - they don't have the greatest longevity: where most combat guns will easily go to 10k + rounds, the consensus is that the PF-9 will NOT. As in, a couple thousand rounds is reasonable before expecting major parts replacement.

2 - they are hard to shoot well. This is a gun you move to *after* you've become proficient in shooting. This is not due solely to recoil, the trigger is positively awful and difficult at best to master.

3 - recoil. I know I know, we're men and manly things like recoil are punishments we should gladly suffer. But I am not particularly recoil sensitive, and a few mags per range trip is about all I can handle before my hand becomes sore and tired.

I only mention all this, because at its price it is tempting; and it serves its purpose well. Also, these are points you should consider for any gun you are looking at buying for what is for now going to be your sole handgun.

Besides just reliable and reasonably accurate, you want to be able to shoot it *a lot* without fear of wearing the gun out, or fear of generating bad habits. Recoil and tired hands do have the tendency to do that.

As far as being able to carry the gun, the width and grip length are the primary factors in concealability. And for what it's worth, I can carry a Glock 19 or 1911 under a loose T-shirt. I'm 6'-1" and 190, so by no means a large person.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, the Kahr CW9 (or P9, same size) is about the smallest and lightest I would recommend for a primary gun; especially if it's your first.

Kahr also offers the K9, which is a steel framed gun. This adds significantly to the weight, but that makes it more pleasant to shoot. In a similar size category is the S&W 3913, though no longer in production. The Sig P239 is a very reliable easy shooting single stack pistol that is a little larger.

In the double stack guns, the S&W M&P 9 is a good gun that may fit your hand. The Ruger SR9 is also very thin for a double stack, and comes in both full size and compact models.

Of course, the 1911 is always there. With thin grips, it is pretty slim. In 9mm flavor with steel frame, recoil is very mild. And since the whole gun is pretty much as thin or thinner than the grips, it is quite easy to conceal.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the ...box-o-holsters...safe-full-o-guns...Society..
I think everyone has these...and finally picked the right one for ..Them
Carry the largest caliber that you shoot well and are comfy with...thats what they are all saying...dont limit yourself.
I was at a gunshop once and customer was asking the owner...."I just dont seem to be able to find one thats comfortable"....store owner said,,,"nobody said they were supposed to be comfy, they just have to work ....WELL"
Aim small miss small...There is NO second place...Welcome
edit: the training thing is a no bullxhit thing too

Latest posts

Top Bottom