US faces most serious threat of major war in 80 years, and we aren't prepared: experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A new report to Congress and the president warns the U.S. is not equipped for a major war.
The bipartisan Commission on the National Defense Strategy warned we face “the most serious and most challenging” threats in 80 years.

The commissioners, who said they were unanimous in their findings, said the U.S. faces “the potential for near-term major war.”

The nation was last prepared to fight a global conflict during the Cold War, which ended 35 years ago.
“It is not prepared today,” the report states.

Bradley Martin, the director of the RAND National Security Supply Chain Institute, said Tuesday that he agreed with the commissioners’ dire assessment.

“I think that the chances of a major-power war are unfortunately significant,” he said.
RAND assisted with the commissioners’ report.

Defense spending as a share of the U.S. economy has declined since the Cold War.
The U.S. spent over 11% of gross domestic product on defense in the 1950s. It was down to about 6% in the 1980s. Now, we spend about 3% of GDP on defense.

Another RAND expert, Raphael Cohen, mentioned America’s diminished defense capacity since the Cold War while discussing dangers related to Israel’s Middle East conflicts.

“Our defense industrial base is struggling for a host of reasons,” Cohen said. “This goes well beyond Israel and Gaza. It goes well beyond Ukraine. It goes largely to what we did to the defense industrial base after the end of the Cold War. We need to scale that back up again, but we're struggling under that.”

Martin, a retired Navy captain, said today’s American military does a good job with its day-to-day tasks.
“But the real lack of preparation is in the fact that the defense industrial base has shrunk,” Martin said.

The military recruitment struggles have gotten a lot of attention, but we also don’t have the technically trained workforce or the factory capacity to make the munitions and critical spare parts for our combat vehicles, he said.
“One of the bad habits, I would call a bad habit, of (military) services is they want to build a few really, really expensive things because of the belief that, ‘Well, I've got all this capability. You know, one of these can take on seven of something else,’” Martin said.

But effective deterrence takes combat capability stationed in lots of different places, standing by and ready to roll in the event of a crisis.

They don't have to necessarily be $4 billion destroyers to be an effective deterrence, Martin said.
“Quantity has a quality of its own,” he said.

There are probably some efficiency savings that could be achieved within the Defense Department, Martin said.
But increasing America’s defense capacity won’t be free.

Increased defense spending could be paid for by reductions to existing government programs or increased taxes, which Martin acknowledged might not “be a popular, politically palatable” solution.
“I guess I would just say that the defense capabilities that we're talking about are what underwrites stability and prosperity,” he said. “That's a collective good. You know, that's something that people don't notice until it goes away.”

Martin said the many trillions of dollars we’ve spent over the decades on our military is a relatively small price to pay for what it’s provided our country.

“The isolationist impulse is certainly understandable, but I think that, that comes from a failure to recognize how much U.S. prosperity has depended on a stable global environment,” Martin said.

The U.S. was better positioned before World War II to quickly ramp up capacity than the country is now, he said.
We had excess industrial capability and more available labor coming out of the 1930s than we do in 2024.

That’s all the more reason to take action now – in peacetime – to build up our defense capacity, he said.
Threats loom from Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and others.

“To a degree, we may find ourselves surprised by what the next big thing is,” Martin said.

He doubts Russia will want to take on NATO or all of Europe.

And China likely doesn’t want to risk the economic calamity that could come from invading Taiwan.
The Middle East can be more unpredictable, and that’s dangerous, he said.

It’s also a region that could prove so valuable to other nations that a spark in the Middle East could ignite a conflict that spills far outside that part of the world.

China, for example, has interests in Africa. And it receives energy from the Middle East.
Plus, there’s the danger that a U.S. adversary could try to take advantage if they think America is distracted by conflict elsewhere.

“If that starts to become a problem where countries are taking sides, then we're dealing with a world war,” Martin said.

https://www.ktul.com/news/nation-wo...force-navy-middle-east-russia-china-cold-war#

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Military-Industrial-Government Complex laying the ground work for incone during a Peaceful Trump presidency. .
I disagree wholeheartedly that we have been acting as an isolationist, just the opposite. We should act more isolationist.
As to recruitment being down, that is due to WOKE leadership & infusion of intolerance of Patriotism & Christian & Western values/ethics.
As to Quantity over Quality in military equipment, that is a communist country ( China/Russia ) philosophical approach to military hardware ( & manpower ) . Although I do agree , we must be much more economical to build up our hardware & produce more units.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple of ideas, stop giving our money away to other nations that will never be an ally, stop changing foreign policy with every new administration, it shouldn't be up to just the president, like dumbass Joe Biden giving Iran 60 million. Stop letting spies and soldiers in through the southern border, like dumbass Joe Biden. Put our own needs above all others. It's really not complicated

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple of ideas, stop giving our money away to other nations that will never be an ally, stop changing foreign policy with every new administration, it shouldn't be up to just the president, like dumbass Joe Biden giving Iran 60 million. Stop letting spies and soldiers in through the southern border, like dumbass Joe Biden. Put our own needs above all others. It's really not complicated
Maybe eliminate foreign lobbying, dual citizenship?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I agree with both sides to an point. We need to cut off all funding to all but our closest allies, only stick our nose in places that effect us, but we do need a much stronger military. In between major wars we tend to let our military shrink way to small, and it always ends up costing more American lives than it should have.

I have read several times that if we had a strong military at the beginning of WW2, it would have saved us a quarter of a million lives or more and I believe that from all I have read. We need to build up our defenses starting right here at home.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I agree with both sides to an point. We need to cut off all funding to all but our closest allies, only stick our nose in places that effect us, but we do need a much stronger military. In between major wars we tend to let our military shrink way to small, and it always ends up costing more American lives than it should have.

I have read several times that if we had a strong military at the beginning of WW2, it would have saved us a quarter of a million lives or more and I believe that from all I have read. We need to build up our defenses starting right here at home.
This is correct to a point - also - we were already assisting the Soviet Union prior to 1941 in "industrial" advancement, and we were waging an economic war with Japan well before 1941, AND - we were assisting Great Britain in their war before 1941....

There were so many points of aggression by the Roosevelt administration that were hidden from Americans it makes me wonder how anyone these days could call Pearl Harbor a "sneak attack" that we had no idea about. FDR knew, and acted in such a manner that some attack was inevitable. Never underestimate the government's ability to deceive, or enthusiasm for getting American kids killed.

So yes, a strong military is great - but only if he who wields it cares about the country. These bastards that preach war, war, war are never the ones getting shot at.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a mental exercise, what happens if China invades Taiwan? I would suspect we refuse bond payments to China, much like we seized and tied up Russian Funds. Game over, dollar loses all value for international trade. If we stick by Taiwan war is the only solution if we stick by them, but even then we lose pharmaceuticals and lots of goods being shipped here. Are politicians have turned us into cucks.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a mental exercise, what happens if China invades Taiwan? I would suspect we refuse bond payments to China, much like we seized and tied up Russian Funds. Game over, dollar loses all value for international trade. If we stick by Taiwan war is the only solution if we stick by them, but even then we lose pharmaceuticals and lots of goods being shipped here. Are politicians have turned us into cucks.
If China takes Taiwan our economy goes into the crapper. We use far to many computer chips made in Taiwan and no longer have the capability to manufacturer them here. Sure we could start making them, after we either built the machinery or bought it from China. We need to move a lot of manufacturing back to the USA but that is not going to happen as long as the deep state is so regulation happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom