Using the Lee Classic Loader....step #3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,..I got me a Classic Lee Loader in .357 to try out.

Step #1 went well, deprime.
Step #2 went well, resize.

Step #3......well,..there was a loud bang and black soot on my fingers..! :angry3: I almost soiled myself..! Now I'm really nervous to try it again.

What's the trick to seating the primer without setting it off..? I sure didn't feel it "set" like I thought I would.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use a plastic mallet. Listen to the sound of each hammer strike. You'll hear a difference in the sound when the primer seats home. And I don't mean the pop of a primer. :-). Everyone pops a primer or two, no big deal. You'll get the hang of pretty quick.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that is waht i started out with when i began reloading,,,I got one in 30-30
then .308 win. then i got one for my 30.06....never had a primer go off..

The little primer holder is like a spring cup...yours is working like that isn't it..
I use a small plastic hammer,,and the resizing process for the rifle brass gets about 4 wacks ,,then 2-3 to remove it with mandrell,,,then primer seating gets 3-4 easy taps....i Never try to do it in 1 wack or 2..

How was your process,,,have you tried again..
I eventually bought a classic cast press,,as the wack-a-mole loader only neck sized the rifle rounds and i got some brass that would not chamber and needed full length sized....

Then i started doing all kinds of cool stuff,,turning 270 brass into 308 and 30-06 yadda yadda

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How was your process,,,have you tried again..
I eventually bought a classic cast press,,as the wack-a-mole loader only neck sized the rifle rounds and i got some brass that would not chamber and needed full length sized....

Yeah, I tried again and got it this time. I think it's going to take some "break in" time. The resize step takes alot of whacks. Then when I went to prime the case, it didn't tap out easily. I think I went Conan on it the first time trying to get the case unstuck, which set the primer off. This time I took a bunch of tiny taps waiting for the explosion. It didn't happen and the primer eventually set.

I've got all the normal reloading stuff, just wanted to try it the simple way. I think my cousin (who I'm buying this for) will enjoy it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
glad you got it... i still use my 30-30 classic loader to do all my 30-30 ammo
really good groups so why change 1 3/4" groups, using the dipper to measure

Latest posts

Top Bottom