USPS!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I know that. Like I said, I looked up the regulations and placed it accordingly. I even went to the post office to ask about the box placement and was told someone would come out to check on it and let us know if there was a problem...that was on Feb 3rd. No one ever mentioned an issue with the box placement. The carrier delivered mail to the box at least twice on different days in the week or two after the box was installed (we're not getting a lot there because we haven't changed our address yet). The carrier also came up to the house with a package and never said anything about the box placement. It's now been in place for 6 weeks and it's on a flat, very lightly traveled county road.

We went to the Ada PO last Thur and inquired about the issue. We were told by the clerk at the desk there was no mail being held but he would leave a note for the carrier to look into the issue. The day after, Friday last week, there was a note in the box saying the box needed to be moved to a flagged location about 30 feet away, on the same side of the road, on the other side of the current driveway. No explanation why. Now keep in mind I placed it in a location where the carrier could easily pull in to back up and turn around...on the edge of a previous driveway location. We're at the end of the route on that road so I knew he'd be turning around there.

My wife called and talked to the postmaster today. He told us the issue was the box needed to be moved because the carriers are not allowed to back up. He also said our mail was being held.

This makes absolutely no sense for several reasons:

1) The carrier has to back up to turn around either way whether at the old driveway or the new driveway.
2) Why is it the carrier can put a note in the box telling us to move the box but can't put the mail in there?
3) Why was it safe to use the current location for delivering the mail he did deliver?
4) If there was a problem why did it take 6 weeks for someone to let us know there was a problem?

I'm not bashing the PO just to bash the PO. As I said...the USPS is generally my preferred method of delivering things. But I detest bureaucrats who can't give me a reasonable answer or assist with solving a problem that should be easily solved.

Trust me... Those of you in the delivery business, the PO specifically, don't know what it's like to get bashed by the public. Try being a cop for 15 years and let me know which is worse. Everyone and their dog is an expert on law enforcement because they watched COPs and Live PD.
If they delivered to the box they screwed up and asking you to move it now is wrong. If it was in an unsafe location the carrier should have brought it to your attention. I wouldn’t give up until the Postmaster comes out and talks to you on site about it. I always wanted to be a cop and applied at both OKCPD and USPS when I got out of USMC. I went the post office route and always kind of regretted it. I know it’s a thankless job and appreciate those who do it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy lives south of Houston. Amy mail normally takes 3-4 days, from here to there or vice versa. Christmas cards are 6-7, due to volume?

For his birthday, I want to Dollar General and bought a $0.97 playground ball (just smaller than a basketball).

I used a sharpie and addressed the ball to him. Wrote "Have a ball on your Birthday" under the address.

Took it to PO. Counter didn't want to accept it. I insisted and he stamped it (about $2). Off it went.

It was delivered 28 days later. Covered in dirt, mud, scuffs, boot prints, even tire tracks.

We both had a good laugh. For $3, less than a card and postage, he had a memorable birthday. Thinks about it every time his grandson plays with that ball.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My buddy lives south of Houston. Amy mail normally takes 3-4 days, from here to there or vice versa. Christmas cards are 6-7, due to volume?

For his birthday, I want to Dollar General and bought a $0.97 playground ball (just smaller than a basketball).

I used a sharpie and addressed the ball to him. Wrote "Have a ball on your Birthday" under the address.

Took it to PO. Counter didn't want to accept it. I insisted and he stamped it (about $2). Off it went.

It was delivered 28 days later. Covered in dirt, mud, scuffs, boot prints, even tire tracks.

We both had a good laugh. For $3, less than a card and postage, he had a memorable birthday. Thinks about it every time his grandson plays with that ball.
Sounds like that ball named Wilson from the FedEx package in Castaway.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They suck. I mailed a calendar to my folks in Va. and they got it after the first page was worthless. Almost every issue of Gun Test I receive is damaged.
How did you send it? I'm guessing cheapest way (as a flat in an envelope). Environment and machinery are evil things. Put it in more protected packaging and pay the extra shekels.

Last edited by a moderator:

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that. Like I said, I looked up the regulations and placed it accordingly. I even went to the post office to ask about the box placement and was told someone would come out to check on it and let us know if there was a problem...that was on Feb 3rd. No one ever mentioned an issue with the box placement. The carrier delivered mail to the box at least twice on different days in the week or two after the box was installed (we're not getting a lot there because we haven't changed our address yet). The carrier also came up to the house with a package and never said anything about the box placement. It's now been in place for 6 weeks and it's on a flat, very lightly traveled county road.

We went to the Ada PO last Thur and inquired about the issue. We were told by the clerk at the desk there was no mail being held but he would leave a note for the carrier to look into the issue. The day after, Friday last week, there was a note in the box saying the box needed to be moved to a flagged location about 30 feet away, on the same side of the road, on the other side of the current driveway. No explanation why. Now keep in mind I placed it in a location where the carrier could easily pull in to back up and turn around...on the edge of a previous driveway location. We're at the end of the route on that road so I knew he'd be turning around there.

My wife called and talked to the postmaster today. He told us the issue was the box needed to be moved because the carriers are not allowed to back up. He also said our mail was being held.

This makes absolutely no sense for several reasons:

1) The carrier has to back up to turn around either way whether at the old driveway or the new driveway.
2) Why is it the carrier can put a note in the box telling us to move the box but can't put the mail in there?
3) Why was it safe to use the current location for delivering the mail he did deliver?
4) If there was a problem why did it take 6 weeks for someone to let us know there was a problem?

I'm not bashing the PO just to bash the PO. As I said...the USPS is generally my preferred method of delivering things. But I detest bureaucrats who can't give me a reasonable answer or assist with solving a problem that should be easily solved.

Trust me... Those of you in the delivery business, the PO specifically, don't know what it's like to get bashed by the public. Try being a cop for 15 years and let me know which is worse. Everyone and their dog is an expert on law enforcement because they watched COPs and Live PD.
I know bashing. I was in law enforcement and the car biz for 22 years. I've got skin thicker than a gator's. There's BS in all levels of government. There's a level higher than that Postmaster. Just let me or pstmstr know if you need help finding who to talk to.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will cost you double that for a year, at least it does here for the smallest box they have. Good luck.
Depends on if you live in an area that's Market Dominant or a Competitive Market. The smaller, rural PO's are MD and have no incentives with their box rentals.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect these are packaged poorly as well as the calendar, maybe not. You’d be amazed at the way some people prepare things to mail and then blame USPS when they are damaged.
I went to Staples and bought a cardboard tube to mail the calendar in. Of all the magazines and catalogs I get usually Gun Test is the only one that gets damaged. I'm sure you remember the time the Ponca Post Office shipped ammo for me. Not that I know the Gun Test are damaged by the Ponca Post Office.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, but I made an Amazon order Saturday. I didn't check the address. I got notified that it will be delivered to Gold Canyon Az tomorrow where we spent January and February.
They wouldn't let me cancel the order but allowed delivery instructions. So, I wrote I wasn't there and listed my current address. It will be interesting to see if it shows up back in Ok and the route it will take.
Only a $10 item so if it gets delivered and stolen it's not much money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom