USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like sabotage , I know that's odd.....but the odds of this happening twice in a decade seem slim much less in three months

I had class in Army, i had to think like isis.

2 ships collision in 90 days. I wounder if they are trying to learn the Navy's standard operating procedure.

Testing the Navy's SOP procedures when ship is close.
Testing Navy's SOP when collision happens.
Learning the damage from a collision.
How long is the damaged ship in a area after the collision.
Will a VIED work.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like thy got tagged on the port quarter, left rear for you non-nautical types, indicating they probably had right of way unless they were doing something stupid like trying to cut across the bow of the merchant. Apparently 730 am local, scheduled to make port, might have been getting things prepped topside so a larger than usual number of folks topside.

Seems the kids out of Yokosuka are getting a bit careless, well more than usual.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...llides-with-merchant-ship-in-pacific.amp.html

The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain was involved in a collision with a merchant vessel east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca, the 7th Fleet announced in a tweet.

Wtf is going on? Two US naval ships hit this year by slow lumbering merchant vessels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you mean to say that Two slow lumbering merchant vessels were hit this year by far more nimble U.S. destroyers?

It's called negligence. Hopefully no one has died from this incident.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't you mean to say that Two slow lumbering merchant vessels were hit this year by far more nimble U.S. destroyers? It's called negligence. Hopefully no one has died from this incident.
I assume you know something more than the rest of us? With issues of Asymmetric Warfare potentiality and other types of warfare that exist beyond the realm of the average citizen, I prefer to remain open that the men and women trained to perform their missions aboard the vessels were certified and capable. Negligence is a true rarity in specialized fields such as radar and acoustics. What is to say "spoofing" is not at play? This is a war, assumptions are asinine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't you mean to say that Two slow lumbering merchant vessels were hit this year by far more nimble U.S. destroyers?

It's called negligence. Hopefully no one has died from this incident.
You might note the difference in were hit, and hit. The Fitzgerald was hit, it didn't ram the merchant vessel. You see the difference?
You can call it what you want. In the first incidence some command on the destroyer Fitzgerald were relieved of duty last week.
They were possible not even on the Bridge at the time. Certainly lower level errors were made, but the buck stops with the command in the military.
In this incident, I prefer to wait for the full explanation.
Meanwhile search and rescue operations are happening as we speak.

Latest posts

Top Bottom