USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems the kids out of Yokosuka are getting a bit careless, well more than usual.
It seems so.
Records say The USS Antietam ran aground in Tokyo bay losing over a 1000 gallons of fuel oil. In May, the USS Champlain hit a South Korean Fishing vessel.

Edit: the Antietam lost hydraulic oil, not fuel oil.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assume you know something more than the rest of us? With issues of Asymmetric Warfare potentiality and other types of warfare that exist beyond the realm of the average citizen, I prefer to remain open that the men and women trained to perform their missions aboard the vessels were certified and capable. Negligence is a true rarity in specialized fields such as radar and acoustics. What is to say "spoofing" is not at play? This is a war, assumptions are asinine.

It's not war, it's navigating a port. I guess that could be the case but it seems unlikely, but possible, i suppose.

We're talking about human beings here, human beings make mistakes. Doesn't matter what country you serve or how good your training is or how capable you are.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad deal....

I'm guessing We probably won't have to wait long for a Trump weird tweet about the event.
President Trumps first Tweet was:
"Thoughts and prayers are with our USNavy sailors aboard the USS John S McCain where search and rescue efforts are underway. "

How does that make you feel about your comments now? Your kind of rhetoric is what is wrong with this country.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm certainly not an expert on ship electronics but I assume (yeah, I know) that there are any number of electronic aids available for navigation/collision avoidance. Does anyone think that these collisions/near misses could be a result of cyber warfare attacks on the electronics?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that know, how far below the waterline in that class of ship do people routinely operate?

What a picture, right below the friggin missile tubes.

BN-UT550_USSHIP_P_20170821122608.jpg

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The draft on those is about 30 ft. So realistically there are 3 to 4 decks below the water line. Looks like the merchant got most of the speed off prior to contact or that damage would extend further up to the deck. The missile tubes are harpoons, anti ship.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
President Trumps first Tweet was:
"Thoughts and prayers are with our USNavy sailors aboard the USS John S McCain where search and rescue efforts are underway. "

How does that make you feel about your comments now? Your kind of rhetoric is what is wrong with this country.

Yes, wondering what Donald "Twitter Storm" Trump might tweet is the problem. Not you and your ilk that disparage half the voting population at every turn. Got it.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm certainly not an expert on ship electronics but I assume (yeah, I know) that there are any number of electronic aids available for navigation/collision avoidance. Does anyone think that these collisions/near misses could be a result of cyber warfare attacks on the electronics?

Probably not. While spoofing is possible, the area they were operating in is fantastically busy. Head on a swivel busy. They might have been trying to turn away and forgot that a ship rotates around a pivot point generally about a third of the length. So, turning away swing 2 thirds of the ship towards the object you're trying to avoid. A bit counter intuitive but when you are trying to maneuver 600 ft of steel it's important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom