USSA in the news

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The story.
US Shooting Academy Sale Announced

When I first visited US Shooting Academy in Tulsa, Oklahoma, I was immediately impressed with their facilities. Ninety or so acres of land, shooting ranges for almost any range, any condition, and any sort of training you could imagine for civilians, law enforcement and the military.

After spending a couple of days shooting on their facilities, I was even more impressed at the way technology and teaching methods had been combined to move even the slowest pupil along the learning curve. Being that pupil in a group primarily comprised of law enforcement and military-trained shooters, I know the facility and instructor Mike Seeklander helped me absorb instruction with a minimum of ego bruising.

But the US Shooting Academy hit a rough patch on August 31, 2010 with the sudden death of owner Tom Fee. Three days later, F&M Bank sued USSA and Fee's other company, saying they'd both defaulted on loans.

With state of the art shooting ranges (above) and shoot houses that were setup to handle virtually any scenario (below), the US Shooting Academy never lacked facilities.

Insisting it was solvent, the Academy management convinced the courts to allow USSA to continue supplying firearms training to the military, law enforcement and its roughly 600 members.

Yesterday, we learned the assets of USSA had been purchased by a trio of Tulsa businessmen. Managing partner Stephen Dixon, has owned and operated real estate and oil and gas interests for forty-plus years, Larry Cheatham, Jr. is a former Army officer, and founder and owner of L&L Machine Guns, a firearms company that specializes in automatic weapons from around the globe. The third new owner, Charles Peters, recently owned and operated Safe Home Consulting, a full-service personal and residential security product and service provider.

The owners say they're going to "greatly expand" USSA's Retail Pro Shop and services for current and future members.

"We want to make sure that customers know we are here and will be here for a long time," Peters said, "our goal is to make the USSA as accessible as possible to those interested in family outdoor fun, personal protection and firearms skills. The USSA is for everyone, not just our Law Enforcement and Military clients." Maybe so, but Cheatham's particular expertise will mean the facility will now feature more than 60 machine guns spanning World War I through today's latest-and-greatest currently being used worldwide. Those will be available for individual and group rental, in addition to being used in "serious" training.

Personally, it sounds like a lot more fun to me for a company outing than a ropes course.

The new owners aren't wasting any time trying to get Tulsa residents interested in their new business. This Sunday, October 30, they're holding their "First Annual" USSA Zombie Shoot. In addition to the competition, there will be a hayrack ride, best costume contest, .22-caliber rifle fun shoot, "Zombie hunter" handgun competition, as well as a trunk or treat sponsored by Bass Pro Shops.

Admittedly, I'm already 'way over the zombie thing, but it's one of those cultural phenomenons that appeals to lots of people who might not otherwise get interested in shooting.

For the US Shooting Academy - and shooting sports in general- that's a good thing.

As always, we'll keep you posted.

--Jim Shepherd

Latest posts

Top Bottom