VZ-58 rifle questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvlp6347

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am lookin at getting a VZ-58 and have seen several recievers offered the D-Tech., ORF, and what ever Century is building on, oh and the CZ VZ-58. Are there any pros and cons to these? I wanna know if the Century guns have a chrome lined bore? I have been an AR junkie since I ran a colt M4 in Iraq but I am wanting to find a 7.62x39 to put in the fun because the ammo is so cheap.

so here is what I understand and I may be off on a few things, if so please correct me because I hate to see people stating fact on a forum and they have no idea what they are talking about.

the original rifles have a chrome lined bore and are shorter than 16" so a flash/muzzle device must be fixed to be legal.

Century is putting 16" barrels in there rifle and the recievers are different than the ORF and D-Tech. ??? is this true?

I've looked at building one but for the cost and avalibility of parts they dont seem like its much cheaper...I would have to buy a reciever and parts kit, make it 922R friendly and buy the drill bit and reamer to press the barrel pin, then dura/cera coat it Seems like I can buy one for that kind of money.

My base question is whitch one of the recievers is "better" not looking for a forum war just some pro's and con's

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
also unless the gun has been somehow altered they don't take regular ak mags. I think vz58 mags are around $20 versus $10 for ak mags.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The D-Technik receivers (and rifles) are the best of the bunch, imported from the Czech Republic and manufactured by CSA (Czech Small Arms). The Czechpoint rifles use a permanent barrel nut, as the Czech barrels are too short, and the rifle would have to be classified as a SBR. You can remove the nut, but it has to be permanently replaced with some sort of muzzle device. The Czechpoint barrels are chrome lined, and IIRC the Century aren't. Not 100% on that.

One of my pet peeves with this rifle are comments all over the net about the mags - "it won't accept AK mags, so that's a problem". It is NOT an AK, so why would it take AK mags? My FAL doesn't accept M1a mags, my M1a won't accept G3 mags, etc. All NATO 7.62x51 battle rifles, but different magazines? IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT WEAPONS! A Vz58 shares nothing in common with an AK variant, other than the 7.62x39 cartridge. I've seen threads on the net about people wanting to convert AK mags to work in a Vz58. Why? Surplus Vz58 mags are all over the place online for about $12-$15 a pop, while AK mags are around $10 and up. That's a lot of work to save $2 a mag. Vz58 mags are lighter, and operate the bolt hold open, which the AK doesn't have. It's an odd thing for people to use as a disqualifier.

I've wanted an Sa. Vz58 for a few years, and finally bought one. I'm currently saving to buy it a stable mate, if that tells you anything. Very good build quality, accurate enough, low cost ammo, light as my kid's Nerf guns, and a blast to shoot! It's become one of - if not the - favorite rifle I have.

hvlp6347

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took the plunge and bought a D-Technik CZ receiver rifle and found mags for like $11 on AIM supply so I bought 10, I agree CJJ, the cry baby business of AK mags is silly, ITS NOT AN AK, at all an thats why I bought it I've shot goos and bad AK's but mostly bad and they were all full auto russian and every other make. I had 5 under my cot when I left Iraq and all were junk and most would have serious issues, the "good" ones if you will call it that we gave to interpriters for an incase rifle.

so I am excited about the short piston striker fire VZ-58, hey I fuly under stand the SBR laws but I would like to have the barrel extention changed and put a flash hider on it , pinned and welded of course, How do I get the barrel nut off? I cant see where the weld/pin is to have a gun smith machine it off?

I found this rifle for $695 and thought that was a little high untill I looked and found out there are tons of ORF and Century guns out there and decided to buy it, I hope Ididn't pay to much.

hvlp6347

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is true the VZ-58's have proprietary mags and dont interchange with AK mags. The original barrels were shorter than 16in.

If you look hard enough ther are VZ mags tobe had for $11 and they are 1/4 the weight of an AK mag, These VZ rifles are light and the barrel to "trunion" surface contact is double that of an AK, and with amilled reciever no flex when firing, Why are we stuck on AK junk when these rifles are out there? I mean I have some VEPRs and other HEAVY built 7.62x39 type rifles but the VZ-58 is a no brainer! I plan to buy a centuy and a ORF and compair the 3 side by side!

FYI...The only thing interchangable for you AK guys is the ammo! they are completely different rifles, short piston striker fire and milled recievers

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where did you find one for that price? You did well, with a D-Technik receiver. I got mine from Czechpoint, and will likely buy there again. It's a bit steeper than what you paid, but their customer service is good, and they give a 5 year warranty with it (though I don't think I'll ever need it). Like I said, I'm gearing up to buy a second one, because one is none, and two is one, right?

Not sure who put yours together, but the Czechpoint ones (currently modded by Waffen Werks and earlier by TGI) use a weld on either side of the barrel nut. They say to remove the paint, and you'll see the weld. You have to drill that out, and chase the threads. I'd be real careful drilling it! Once you put a new device on, make sure you permanently install it, just in case Sam wants to sniff around your rifle for any reason. Good score on a great rifle!

Oh - check your mags from AIM - that's where I bought my spares, too. The right rear of the Vz58 mag can have cracks at the feed lip. Extended periods of fully loaded mags can stress them, and cause the aluminum to crack. I guess the Czech military boys left them loaded 24/7, so you need to inspect them. I had three out of an eight mag order that were cracked there. AIM is great in the CS department; they sent me the replacement mags and just asked me to send the old ones back! No RMA number, just basically a "we trust you" attitude. Sucks that I had to pay return shipping, but they didn't give me any grief. And depending on what 922r parts are in your rifle, the mags are often used for two of those compliance parts (if so, they'll have a plastic follower and floor plate) - be careful with that, too.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've built one. They're great rifles but I don't like the mag catch and even though they offer less felt recoil and a BHO I still personally prefer AKs more.

The FSB on the imported rifles is neutered to not accept bayonets and you'll have to replace it if you want to fully convert it back to what its supposed to be. Czechpoint should sell the parts you'll need. If you're going to add a new muzzle device you might as well do the whole thing. Bone Steel Arms has some cool muzzle devices and compliance parts if you need them.

You made a great choice with the D-Technik.

rbror

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of trying to build one. What is the best way to make sure the sights are lined up, the headspace is correct, and the barrel pin slot are all correct when installing the barrel?

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of trying to build one. What is the best way to make sure the sights are lined up, the headspace is correct, and the barrel pin slot are all correct when installing the barrel?

What are you using? Press fixture or barrel block? Make sure the barrel will fit in the receiver first of all and hone the receiver or turn down the barrel if necessary. Make sure the piston stop is installed before pressing the barrel in. For sight alignment you can build or buy squaring blocks, eyeball it, or use a laser level.

Headspace was trial and error for me as the shank is so long on VZ barrels, you headspace them by using headspace gauges with the bolt(stripped) in the carrier and checking the gap between the carrier and back of the rear sight block on the receiver. No gap = full lockup. As for the barrel pin slot = check for level and use a drill press with cutting fluid. Use a drill bit and a reamer for the pin.

I used the guides on http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=76 and http://www.projectguns.com/vz581.html as reference for my build.

Latest posts

Top Bottom