wasps in deer feeder-what to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i've never had much of an issue before but this year i have two barrels with wasp or hornet nest in them. i cant just go spray it down with insect killer. what do you do to get them outta there before getting the corn in there?

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if you don't wanna spray it down in fear of ruining feed and smell spooking deer. But at Locke Supply they sale a wasp killer spray. that stuff will shoot like 10-15 feet out of that can. And they will kill a wasp. You can even hit them flying in air and watch them fall. That is what I use cause then I don't have to be close enough to get stung.

Just an option. And the Doc is right WD-40 does the trick too. Just them new cans they use don't get the distance they used to.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a container of soapy water and throw on the nest. I use a healthy squirt of DAWN in the bucket and swish around. The soap encapsulates them and they suffocate in a matter of seconds. I have been doing this for years and it ALWAYS works, besides the feeder needed a good cleaning anyway. Environmentally friendly too:thumbup3:

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
Don't you plug the feeder spout when you shut it down for the summer? I put a two pieces of duct tape over the spout and have never had any problem with wasps. BTW are your barrels steel or plastic? Folks with plastic barrels seem have more problems with varmints or they just talk about it more.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wasp spray in one hand, and a good ball cap in the other.............get the wind in your favor and it's on!:) We used to have one tower that always had a red wasp nest in it, usually about the size of a dinner plate. They were always cranky and a couple of times thought I was just going to have to bail out and surrender. Going to have to try Deer Slayers method.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I use a container of soapy water and throw on the nest. I use a healthy squirt of DAWN in the bucket and swish around. The soap encapsulates them and they suffocate in a matter of seconds. I have been doing this for years and it ALWAYS works, besides the feeder needed a good cleaning anyway. Environmentally friendly too:thumbup3:

i like this idea,i'll give it a shot

Don't you plug the feeder spout when you shut it down for the summer? I put a two pieces of duct tape over the spout and have never had any problem with wasps. BTW are your barrels steel or plastic? Folks with plastic barrels seem have more problems with varmints or they just talk about it more.

that would mean i would have to become a proactive, thinking ahead kinda guy! never had an issue beforw this year. you can bet i will plug the holes in the future

This is where you seperate the men from the boys. If I was close, I would do it for a 12 pack.

i'll buy you a case! i have the red bastards in one and yellow jackets in another.

Latest posts

Top Bottom