wasps in deer feeder-what to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKIE - Did you try the bomb during the day or at NIGHT? Wasps do NOT fly after dark. If I have a serious problem them I spray after dark. Wasps return to the nest at dark and are quite docile. If you are bombing them during the day then they are going to fly away from the threat and return later. The other option is to pop the top off the feeder and leave for awhile until the wasps settle down then return and throw soapy water on them. You could suit up with some insulated coveralls and wear a headnet along with work gloves and the wasps can't stink thru that.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can kill them without chemical contamination of the nest, the larvae make incredible fish bait. I tried it years ago with the contents of a blown down nest the day after a storm when absolutely nothing was biting. The fish would nearly come out on the bank for the wasp larvae.

I came to love the sport of getting larvae for bait. A tennis racquet was one of my favorite weapons. That was when a sting meant nothing. Now it means an immediate intake of benadryl.

I am pretty sure the new formulation of WD-40 will not burn. Best check it first.

Flaming newspapers have been used to burn off wasp wings and to burn down farmhouses in the bargain.

If you happen to have an out of date CO 2 fire extinguisher that'll do the job, but it's better to use those for cooling beer.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the biggest difficulty isn't the chemical/solution for the kill, but gaining access to the nest for the application of chemical/solution.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
luckily one of them is the sqaure kind wih a built in ladder so access isn't a problem. i think i can plug the funnel on the other and knock the lid off from the ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom