wasps in deer feeder-what to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
or a little bit of acetylene... of course to much and it will take your head off. lol
I once saw somebody put some acetylene in an upside-down styrofoam coffee cup on the edge of a metal fabricating table then hit the striker under it. It was loud as all get-out and not a particularly happy ending for the cup...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put a good mix of acetylene and oxygen in a balloon about the size of a basket ball, and hit it with some fire. Better have muffs on if your close.

The pressure wave will just about knock you over.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what happens when you're dumb enough to leave an (apparently leaky) acetylene bottle in your truck overnight, then hit the remote to unlock it in the morning:
img.gawkerassets.com_img_18xp7ift98oo5jpg_ku_bigpic.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad was a welder, so always had plenty of oxygen and acetylene on hand to get in trouble with as a child. Like you mentioned Dennis, balloon works well. I tied toilet paper onto it to give me a chance to run. I'd fill it up with pure acetylene and it would just make a little poof and fireball. So then I had the bright idea to mix acetylene and oxygen. I got a little more than I bargained for and enough flying gravel to take out an eye. Surprised I survived childhood with all my digits and appendages.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I first saw the acetylene balloon thing with a huge lawn sized garbage bag instead of a balloon....it was quite interesting almost as fun as searching the garage afterwards for structural damage lol. From then on they went outside to do it lol.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the wasps are subjected to people from day one they are quite easy to live with..
I have many wasp friends!
Now the soap sounds interesting..

WD40 will not knock them down and keep them down..I tested this this year..CRRRAAAPPPPP!
Yes the new stuff will light...
Starting fluid is a no go..they fly right through it.

Paper sack or walmart bag at midnight , just surround the nest really quick and pluck it off into the bag..

If you can seal the entrances up to keep them out ..then seal them up now and they will not be able to escape.. they will die shortly...

My wasp friends this year are yellow jackets.. she built her nest in the outside corner of my garage door.
The big 16 foot door.. when it opens all the way it thumps the nest and they go flying..

My oxy actly tank and welders and air hose are in that corner... My top of my head is 6 foot off the ground.. their nest is less than 1.5 feet away..They bow up first thing when i get around.. then after a couple minutes they chill..
My buddy slid his finger up the side of the garage all the way to the nest and touched one,, it just backed up a little.
8:30 PM.. they just went to bed..

have fun with them..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is them sleeping...In the mornings they get a drink from the humming bird feeder..
There was one on it when i went out to change the liquid.. i took it off the hanger un twisted the glass.. wasp sitting on the plastic flower... i turned that part upside down... he buzzed around kind of mad (he chases off the humming birds)
I sat the plastic base on the ground and began filling the glass.

He was flying 1" away from the liquid being poured into the glass..I yelled QUIT!
He backed up a little ...I assembled it all and hung it back up.. he never flew more than a foot from me the entire time.
Landed on the feeder when it was ready and he was pleased..

I see them in my veggie garden going from flower to flower.. spreading a little pollen.. so they stay unless i get stung.
I talk to them and tell them from day 1 how it works..

Latest posts

Top Bottom