Waterfowl 2014/2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not waterfowl, but I'll throw this pic in anyway. Took my daughter on her first duck hunt wither her as the shooter. She was hitting doves consistently in September, so I figured ducks over decoys would go ok............except for they didn't want to decoy. They just wanted to follow these cranes all over the place. Cranes took off when we pulled up, were gone for 30 minutes then came back, landed way north of us, ducks stayed with them. She got a few decent pass shots at ducks, smacked the first one but it never fell. That's hunting, we'll try again after we thaw out! 15 degrees and 2 degree wind chill :)

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141230_145431_zpslsk4rkjz.jpg

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Despite the odds stacked against us today, we still came out on top. Small crew, a couple of guns that didn't like the extreme cold, bad hide, less than desirable wind conditions; you name it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420086455.075538.jpg

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you BH. Best part of the hunt was bringing a friend that killed his first peckerbelly today. He's going to put it on the wall. The look on his face was priceless the first time he heard one cackle and swing towards the dekes.

I killed a Ross that's going on my wall as well. I've killed a lot of them, but the amount of warts on this one makes him look like an STD factory. My kind of bird!

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my son out for his first duck hunt yesterday morning at Lexington WMA. All day long all we saw were about 10 ringnecks and that's about it. Missed twice. I thought yesterday would have been a good one, but I guess I don't know much about duck hunting.
I did manage to blow a quail into a cloud of feathers (oops).
Regardless, the boy says he now loves duck hunting. I just need to become more experienced and find better places to go so we don't strike out everytime!

I do find it interesting that I've never seen a mallard down there. I do see teal, ringnecks, and occasionally widgeon.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the season!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The boys were out scouting this morning and I got the same report Okie. Although, they were having trouble locating geese as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom