Wearing a mask when out and about

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well gosh . . . now I feel really bad. But feel free to back up your statements if you'd like . . .

Well let’s see, who would I trust the most on medical issues. I’m going with a doc but thanks for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You admitted that you could have worded some of your statements better. I’ve already shown where at least a couple of your statements were outright wrong.

Which ones? Oh, you mean the ones mentioning that cloth masks aren't PPE? I can provide links to studies that support my comments too.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.

But hey, it’s just potentially people’s lives. So no big deal. Just keep throwing it out there.

Again, this is a freaking message board. I'm not out giving press conferences telling people what to do.

Maybe you should stick to being IT.

Are you this much of a jerk in person? I mean seriously. How many times do you want to rehash this crap? You act like you're the be all/end all of this topic. You're not. I'm not.

If you want to push the message that folks should feel safe wearing home-made masks then go for it . . . I'm not. Are they better than not wearing something? Maybe. Should they be seen as something better than social distancing? Heck no.

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well let’s see, who would I trust the most on medical issues. I’m going with a doc but thanks for nothing.

Nice copout . . . . the use of PPE isn't just a medical issue. Most doctors aren't out fit-testing folks . . . or training folks on the use of PPE. They're out seeing patients.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes the masks are to protect the person wearing it . . . and others are to protect the other folks nearby.

N95s are the only masks to protect the wearer. The "dust" masks just prevent droplets from being spread via sneeze or coughing.

I'd imagine that they're in a "tizzy" because they issue them to patients and visitors.

I'm going to go back to this original statement.

The CDC, FDA, Dr. Fauci, have all said the same thing IIRC. Not to mention local infectious diseases docs.

It was my understanding that the emphasis on wearing a surgical mask and "cloth" masks provide little protection to the wearer. In which surgical masks were designed to keep things in, to protect the patient? Whereas N95 masks are meant to actually filter for particles, as much as they can anyways?

This is not to say we shouldn't be wearing any mask by any means, just trying to clarify what all the drama is about.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to go back to this original statement.

The CDC, FDA, Dr. Fauci, have all said the same thing IIRC. Not to mention local infectious diseases docs.

It was my understanding that the emphasis on wearing a surgical mask and "cloth" masks provide little protection to the wearer. In which surgical masks were designed to keep things in, to protect the patient? Whereas N95 masks are meant to actually filter for particles, as much as they can anyways?

This is not to say we shouldn't be wearing any mask by any means, just trying to clarify what all the drama is about.

Thanks . . . I'm more aggravated at myself for getting sucked into a stupid argument over something that started out as a molehill and got made into a mountain.

Apologies to the rest of the thread participants.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I’m tired of rehashing the same incorrect talking points by a certain guy here. Other than one post where he said, I could have worded it better, the inability to admit that certain comments were wrong or misleading is just baffling, especially considering the seriousness of the topic. Thankfully, I think most people can see the truth.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m tired of rehashing the same incorrect talking points by a certain guy here. Other than one post where he said, I could have worded it better, the inability to admit that certain comments were wrong or misleading is just baffling, especially considering the seriousness of the topic. Thankfully, I think most people can see the truth.

Holy crap dude . . . . you're so tired of doing something . . . yet YOU keep harping on a single comment I made and then clarified. Stating that it could have been worded better in and of itself indicates it wasn't 100% correct. You seem so great at inferring whatever you want from a comment if it supports your point-of-view, but can't grasp the basic idea of something pretty obvious.

You're some sort of doctor. I get it. YOU have to be right in all that you do. It' pretty obvious that you're trying to get some sort of pleasure out of this discussion and continue to blindly see whatever you want in what I post that supports your bias.

You've tried to use that single comment as some type declaration of me stating I was an expert or as something I'm purposefully trying to mislead someone. YOU are the only one in here professing to be some sort of expert.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still confusing a homemade cloth masked used as true PPE vs the reason why CDC is finally recommending masks when you’re out and about. You know, the whole purpose of this thread...

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still confusing a homemade cloth masked used as true PPE vs the reason why CDC is finally recommending masks when you’re out and about. You know, the whole purpose of this thread...

Pfffft. Wasn't this thread started before the CDC included those additional recommendations?

Might want to read back through the rest of it . . . there are others you might want to flex on . . . mister expert.

Wouldn't want to miss that chance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom