weaver vs isosceles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So whats your stance? and why

I shot Weaver for 17 yrs (and boy, is he mad! :D) but I finally discovered shortcomings of the stance and switched to Modern Isosoceles.

Why?

Because it's better and more versatile.

A properly executed Weaver is still very good and beats everything else(CAR, Quell, Old Iso, FBI crouch, Charlies Angles, Dirty Harry, etc), but a properly executed Modern Iso is better.

Jamie_s_72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I asked this question because I have always shot the modified Weaver. The Weaver kinda took over from the old cowboy one handed stance. I feel really good in the modified weaver. I've been really interested in IPSC and am thinking about giving it the ole college try but my modified Weaver will not be as quick as the modified ISO. I'm trying to change over to the modified ISO but it feels wrong. My shooters are at Mikes (Accurate Iron) right now so no practice for a few more days. I look at this as a challenge that I have to win. Wish me luck

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i use the modified iso myself. but thats all ive been taught from the guys at ussa and it seems to work well. though i havent shot competitions it just seems like a natural fighting stance similar to what you would use in martial arts. Kept me good and mobile when we were shooting on the move and having to move to cover and such.

Either way i think the most important part is just getting on the balls of your feet and getting your weight forward some to mitigate the recoil of the weapon vs worrying so much about your foot position and stuff. which is especially important under stress when theres way more goin on.

this thread has been a good read so far keep it up.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't matter at all as long as the sights return to the same place CONSISTENTLY!! It matters not if it,s Weaver, Iso, Gansta...etc. As long as the sight return to center after recoil it matters not where your feet are arms are, head is etc. It is easier to teach Iso and Modified Iso to Nuggets, but the bottom line is as long as the sights track consistently....IT DOESN"T MATTER!!!

I, like Mr. E, shot Weaver for years...it has morphed into modified "who cares!" I get my hits, I am fast enough, and I don't care what it is called!

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't matter at all as long as the sights return to the same place CONSISTENTLY!! It matters not if it,s Weaver, Iso, Gansta...etc. As long as the sight return to center after recoil it matters not where your feet are arms are, head is etc. It is easier to teach Iso and Modified Iso to Nuggets, but the bottom line is as long as the sights track consistently....IT DOESN"T MATTER!!!

I, like Mr. E, shot Weaver for years...it has morphed into modified "who cares!" I get my hits, I am fast enough, and I don't care what it is called!

Nice approach! I'd have to agree with you there. Besides, when you're in a gun fight, you are never going to get the "perfect" stance. The only stance you'll get is the one that let's you throw rounds down range while behind or going for cover.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Modified Isoceles... Im the fatguy on the right.
Crush grip elbows slightly flexed and rolled outwards.
This is from ACP1 june of 2010

ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_TDSA_IMG_0560.jpg

View from beneath during a live fire exercise the first day.

ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_TDSA_IMG_0359.jpg

View from the side during live fire showing the forward lean in.

ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_TDSA_IMG_0356.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom