Welder for 1/4" metal ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
Good grounding and ground surface, Fresh Dry rod or well stored dry rod, clean welding surface with wire wheel brush are key with rod welding. The more you weld, you can learn to get by cutting some corners on dirty metal etc.
But if you ever try and use a rod that has absorbed moisture it will sputter and stick, the one key that you can't short cut in my experience. For a decent weld dry rod is the main ingredient.
There is a Youtuber from Oklahoma, a red headed pipe welder, has a lot of welding tips, even a rookie can pick up tips from him. Can't remember his title. I think he is from Kingfisher if I remember correctly.
Of course he has fancy tools the weekend welder won't have, but the tips are still helpful

Dry rod key.

Atwood's has a chart that tells general uses for different type rod they sell, like 6011,7018, ect.

Counter sales person's at Airgas, where they sell welding supplies, can be helpful at times also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom