Gen Z Employees Not Popular with Employers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill_Long_Tan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Before I retired I had the displeasure of supervising Gen Zers. I can tell you they were lazy, felt as though their opinions should matter as much as seasoned workers even though they were newly hired, couldn't work alone as they had only worked in teams through school. The funny thing is they had this attitude of thinking they were superior, added drama to every task they were assigned, needed constant positive feedback, wanted to be parented and coddled. They had no concept of longevity, most had only kept a job for 3 or 5 months at a time. There was the occasional star whom, from what I could tell, were simply raised right. I would hire anyone over a Gen Z applicant if given the opportunity. The thing that bothered me the most was they quit by text, couldn't man up enough to have a conversation.

Attachments

• disgusting-clint eastwood.gif
    disgusting-clint eastwood.gif
    1.6 MB

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a few good ones. Most are worthless, can't make it to work on time. Communication skills almost nonexistent except for texting. I seriously believe there's an epidemic of Low T in these "guys".

Matratliff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got two - one working full time, the younger in tech school, and he's worked up until he started tech.

It's fun to watch all of the "hardworking" older generations b*tch about the generations they raised.

Saw a video the other day where a guy posted newspaper clippings from modern times back to the late 1800s, and they all said "no one wants to work anymore".
Absolutely agree. They were/are bitching about my generation (millennial) every day as well. I’m a veteran, college educated, graduated from 2 technical schools, and all around good contributing citizen. My peer group is exactly the same or more so. Our Gen Z guys we hire are studs. Also, have some **** bags from all three generations at my company.
You aren’t going to run into “professionals” on a daily basis. You run into a **** bag crew at a restaurant, not the interns at my company. It’s lazy to **** on an entire generation. If you met me at 18, working at Applebees, you would think this country was going down real fast. Then I joined the Navy, got my **** together, and kept getting better.

We were all mostly just surviving until the greatest generation. Then we actually had a chance to get comfortable after that. TVs, bad food, whatever else. This is what victory looks like. It’s hard to stay disciplined and motivated. My peer group loves this country and wants to work hard to protect her and everyone in it. Just give them a chance, like your folks did for you and my folks did for me.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked with some totally worthless Gen Z, some X and Y, too.
On the other hand, there were good ones, too. The bad really stand out and I feel the good and the bad are a product of their raising.

My oldest granddaughter (26) was a Special Ed teacher, got fed up with lack of pay and admin attitude, left for a job as a batista. 2 months and made store manager, over 3 that had been there much longer. 6 months later, made region manager over 3 stores. Much better pay than teacher, but she complains about Gen Z new hires being worse to deal with than the SpEd kids. She has no problem firing them, if they don't adjust to training.

Oldest grandson (25) went to work at a steel roofing company. The crew was mostly Gen Y. The crew lead retired 7 months later and put him as lead. He has said many times, they are always a couple short because the new hires whine about hard it is and don't show up the next day.

Next granddaughter graduated last May as a pediatric RN and works at the hospital maternity ward.

The only 2 of 12 grandkids (not?) working are the 2 youngest, in Jr High. Granddaughter just won Gold at Jr Nationals Gymnastics (she works hard)
Grandson cuts, bales, hauls hay for neighbor.

Proud of them all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom