Well I saw my first baiter today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I saw my first baiter today. Watched a friend of mine, he's in law enforcement, set up a mechanical deer near a popular poaching area to catch road hunters. Now while I know that most people hate baiters its not like someone is forcing people to take the bait. If you follow the law and refuse to take the bait you will not have any problems. I was watching another case of baiting on the new were a large city was using fake prostitutes to bait men into breaking the law. There is even a show on TV called bait car where people are caught stealing the bait and prosecuted for doing so.

Why is it that when the Government does the baiting it is fine. They tell us that it is up to us to know the law and not take the bait. That ignorance of the law is no excuse. Yet when they are baited they scream bloody murder. They claim that they cannot be expected to know all the laws.

My friend an I had a fun discussion about this after setting the bait deer up. If a LEO shot the fake deer would those against cop baiting come to his defense? Or should Government employees be expected to know the laws and implications of taking the bait the same as everyone else? Just as I will be expected to know the law and not shoot the deer. Shouldn't the police be expected to know the law and not take the bait set out by the OC baiter?

Michael

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago an OHP near Walters shot a dummy deer from his cruiser with his service revolver. The GW's did not cut him any slack. I've never seen one myself. Always wondered though, if you did see one, drove on past it a bit, then parked your vehicle and made a stalk and shot it, then what could they do? I'm talking about during regular season, not out of season.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always wondered though, if you did see one, drove on past it a bit, then parked your vehicle and made a stalk and shot it, then what could they do?
Perhaps trespassing??? Depending on circumstances, ie; posted, etc.
If shot from the road right-of-way, I think that's a violation regardless whether on foot or from a vehicle.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A mechanical deer is no different than a speed limit sign. Law says dont shoot deer from the road........law says don't go above this speed. You shoot the mechanical deer, you could get a ticket. You go above the speed limit, you could get a ticket. If a mechanical deer is entrapment, then so are speed limit signs, which are against the law to shoot too.:)

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago an OHP near Walters shot a dummy deer from his cruiser with his service revolver. The GW's did not cut him any slack. I've never seen one myself. Always wondered though, if you did see one, drove on past it a bit, then parked your vehicle and made a stalk and shot it, then what could they do? I'm talking about during regular season, not out of season.

If it was placed on public ground, or private ground you had permission to hunt on, you had a tag for the correct season, didn't shoot from, toward, or across a public road, there would be no violation.
From the decoy set-ups I've seen, there are enough people observing that a person stalking would be intercepted and sent on their way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom