Well I saw my first baiter today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll stir the pot a little. I am against it in certain situations. I don't know what the ODWC criteria is for when and where they place the decoys, but I can't say I agree with random placement. If they only do it where poachers have been reported and they are targeting specific persons, hell yeah, throw that sucker out there and bust their ass. But if they just throw it out fishing to see what they can catch, I do not agree with that. I'm not saying they do this, I have no idea, but I don't think I agree with it in all situations. I don't think a man's morality should be tested by a type of false pretense. Hell no he shouldn't shoot the deer, I don't condone that in any way whatsoever. Nor do I agree with the government randomly putting a man in a false situation only to test his judgement and morality. I say this tongue in cheek, but part of me does agree with it.

flashover08

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for a fact that if they set it up out in Geary they would catch a bunch for I use to hunt out there and was told of several people that use to hunt from the truck
Have A Great Evening
Mike
}><}}};> PHIL 4:13 <;{{{><{

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll stir the pot a little. I am against it in certain situations. I don't know what the ODWC criteria is for when and where they place the decoys, but I can't say I agree with random placement. If they only do it where poachers have been reported and they are targeting specific persons, hell yeah, throw that sucker out there and bust their ass. But if they just throw it out fishing to see what they can catch, I do not agree with that. I'm not saying they do this, I have no idea, but I don't think I agree with it in all situations. I don't think a man's morality should be tested by a type of false pretense. Hell no he shouldn't shoot the deer, I don't condone that in any way whatsoever. Nor do I agree with the government randomly putting a man in a false situation only to test his judgement and morality. I say this tongue in cheek, but part of me does agree with it.

Well, I disagree with some of your post. Why would you disagree with the bolded parts?

In my experience, some with land owners, and also with GW's, it really doesn't matter where it placed. Its illegal no matter where or who put it there.

I put over a thousand dollars a year in food plots, along with all of the bells and whistles. Some SOB driving down the road with no investment in my endevor gets a ticket, and hopefully loses their vehicle, gun and hunting rights.

They have no right to shoot any deer from their window, they are lazy unethical pieces of human crap.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GW here in Payne Co uses a coyote decoy for his baiting sometimes. He says very few people go past it without taking a poke at it. I like the decoys.

I knew this, and I can't believe ANYBODY would allow him to set that on their property. People are more than welcome to road shoot coyotes at my place all day long. Lots of guys who road poke coytoes would never even consider doing such on a deer. Thats the difference between varmint and game status!! They assume most landowners don't care if you shoot coyotes (granted you should NEVER assume). I can't speak for everyone, but if I caught someone doing it on my place I would have no issues with it.

On a side note its illegal to road hunt in IA and NE, but so long as you have permission on the ground you are "hunting" game wardens in both states look the other way when it comes to coyotes. When the snow flies in the winter around here its quite the tradition to chase coyotes in trucks, which is easy to do around here with such little timber and open corn/bean fields.

Oh and for the record. I have no issues with using decoy deer. That I would allow a GW to set on my place! :)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I disagree with some of your post. Why would you disagree with the bolded parts?

I don't know, it is hard to explain how I feel on that. Part of me sides 100% with you. Can't stand road hunters, and when someone like yourself puts time and effort into a place, then to have someone come by and take pop shots from the road, it is unacceptable.

But I have reservations about throwing a fake big buck out by the road, just randomly, and tempting people to shoot it. I know that probably does not make sense, but that's just how I feel. If they catch someone shooting a live buck from the road, by all means, lock em up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get pretty riled up on poachers. Didn't mean to come off sounding too harsh.
It's just frustrating as hell to put in the time and money, allowing the bucks to mature, only to see a carcass with the head cut off laying in the field. Year after year.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Road hunters are the spawn of the devil. Never mind permission, most of them don't seem to give a damn about what's behind the intended target. They are a safety hazard.

I applaud any method of removing road hunters. As to arresting them for live deer and not for a decoy, they didn't know it was a deek or they wouldn't have shot at it.

I think there should be an open season on road hunters. How's that for extreme?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get pretty riled up on poachers. Didn't mean to come off sounding too harsh.
It's just frustrating as hell to put in the time and money, allowing the bucks to mature, only to see a carcass with the head cut off laying in the field. Year after year.

I'm with you on this 100%
BUT I'm also 100% against baiting. I think it's the biggest load of BS any LEO can pull. Not just on road hunters though.
The ones that piss me off the most are prostitution stings! There are a few things a man shouldn't be held responsible for if you temp him to that degree of shoving it in his face. A very honest man who had never purposely broken any law can fall to temptation if you shove something like a 200" deer or a hot piece of azz in his face. Especially seeing that these "opportunities" put infront of these guys is so far out of the norm...
Bash me all you want, I really don't care. I got offered to put the mojo deer on my place this year out west. The road hunting is getting so bad we probably won't lease out there any more. But I'm still not gonna let him put it up on my lease.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you on this 100%
BUT I'm also 100% against baiting. I think it's the biggest load of BS any LEO can pull. Not just on road hunters though.
The ones that piss me off the most are prostitution stings! There are a few things a man shouldn't be held responsible for if you temp him to that degree of shoving it in his face. A very honest man who had never purposely broken any law can fall to temptation if you shove something like a 200" deer or a hot piece of azz in his face. Especially seeing that these "opportunities" put infront of these guys is so far out of the norm...

Glad to know I am not the only one that feels this way...

Latest posts

Top Bottom