What a Dickhead move from a Texas BB player

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I played basketball in high school, I was taught to not look at the score until the final buzzer. You play the entire game like the score is tied. Play your hardest to the end.
I don't see anything wrong with what that player did versus when a team is able to get up 30 points or more in a blowout.
It's got nothing to do with class, but competition.

No HS basketball coach, with any class, ever coached his kids to shoot the ball in a blow out at the end of a game when a dribble out will suffice. I’ve seen little league lay coaches do it, because they’re ignorant.

If your coach coached that way, I have a news flash for you, he was a classless jerk.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s called class and sportsmanship.

If their favorite football team was in victory formation with a 30 point lead and less than a minute left and the defense went hard on the snap they would lose their minds.

It’s either ignorance or no class. Either way, it’s pointless to try to discuss it with them. Two kinda of people in this world; those that get it and those that don’t. You don’t need to explain it to those that get it, and you can’t explain it to those that don’t. I learned a long time ago not to waste the effort.
Good point

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No HS basketball coach, with any class, ever coached his kids to shoot the ball in a blow out at the end of a game when a dribble out will suffice. I’ve seen little league lay coaches do it, because they’re ignorant.

If your coach coached that way, I have a news flash for you, he was a classless jerk.
So did playing like this & acting like that because someone shot the ball at the end of the game come around when participation trophies became a thing?
Sports is supposed to be competitive, you compete to see who is better, not to see if the winning team or coaching staff is nice. Play till the end, then shake hands with the opponents & complement them on their playing the game. That's the way it's supposed to be.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me you’re an ass while telling me you’re an ass.

So, in football it’s okay for the defense to go hard on the snap when the offense is in victory formation in a blow out? That would exhibit class & sportsmanship?

Is it okay for the offense to line up in victory formation so the defense will relax and then throw a bomb for a TD in a blow out win? That would exhibit class & sportsmanship?

Because in basketball what happened is exactly the same as the second scenario above. Exactly the same. In tournament basket ball, stats and point differential mean exactly zip.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, in football it’s okay for the defense to go hard on the snap when the offense is in victory formation in a blow out? That would exhibit class & sportsmanship?

Is it okay for the offense to line up in victory formation so the defense will relax and then throw a bomb for a TD in a blow out win? That would exhibit class & sportsmanship?

Because in basketball what happened is exactly the same as the second scenario above. Exactly the same. In tournament basket ball, stats and point differential mean exactly zip.
Full disclosure, don't watch basketball at all, so yes, I'm talking out my a$$.

But the offense taking a knee in football isn't quite the same is it? I mean, it's the offense setting up to take a knee. If the offense set up to throw a pass and score in the final seconds, the defense would cover them wouldn't they?

It does seem like a douchey move to shoot like that unguarded. But to me it also feels a little douchey to just quit guarding them.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new way to play sports is to let up so the losing team does not feel bad.
Um OK.
I guess I have a little niceness in me, here is a story.

I ran away from home often because my father would beat on me and many times choke me until I passed out and if i woke up and began crying he would kick me in the back and in the face and head until I shut up.

OK he was old school, no crybabies allowed.
One day I was long gone after a good bruising he administered and he found me while he was driving around in the car with my mother.

He took off after me. I was 14 and FAST.
I ran along the creek bank and he was behind me, I jumped into the creek and ran down it for 10 feet or so and jumped up on the other side and looked back just in time to watch my dad trip in the creek and face plant.

I kind of felt sorry for him. He jumped right back up and kept running to catch me.
I had such a lead on him and pulling away and I felt a bit sorry for the abuser so I slowed my run down a bit to allow him to feel better.

He still gave up the chase.

I was born in 1968 so did my generation become soft and the generation before not so soft.
And each generation after gets softer and softer.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is not new folks lol. Coaches have been subbing in bench players when down with not enough time to come back........and coaches have been subbing in bench players when up with not enough time for the opponent to co.e back. OSU was down 10 with less than 30 sec, Texas was in the double bonus. What was OSU supposed to do, foul so Texas could go to the line and then be down 12 with less than 30 seconds left? OSU wasn't coming back.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Full disclosure, don't watch basketball at all, so yes, I'm talking out my a$$.

But the offense taking a knee in football isn't quite the same is it? I mean, it's the offense setting up to take a knee. If the offense set up to throw a pass and score in the final seconds, the defense would cover them wouldn't they?

It does seem like a douchey move to shoot like that unguarded. But to me it also feels a little douchey to just quit guarding them.
Seems like you’d like an explanation, so I’ll give it a shot.

It’s referred to as “dribbling out”, and it is exactly the same as a football offense setting up in victory formation when they have a big lead.

In basketball they bring the ball across the timeline, and spread the floor and dribble in the corner. They aren’t set up to run the offense, so the defense sags, like the defense sags in football. If you’re not gonna try to score we’re not gonna defend you. It’s sportsmanship and class. Pure and simple.

So, let’s say The Texas Longhorns football offense sets up in victory formation with a big 38-14 lead over Oklahoma University on first down and 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter and the defense went easy on the snap and UT sent a guy deep and threw a long TD, would that be okay? That is the same scenario as bombing a trey with .2 on the clock and a 10+ point lead. It’s a classless, dickhead move. He got throughly boo’ed for it at a neutral site that was full of fans for several teams, not just OK State & TX fans. TCU & K-State were about to start so I’d guess there were more of their fans there at that time than either OK State or TX fans.

UT was dribbling out the clock for several seconds, so in victory formation, shot clock is off, and with .2 on the clock this cat launches a trey. Not his best moment, and I’m 100% certain he got talked to about it.

Sportsmanship used to be really prevalent in all sports. Not so much anymore. Seems like some folks here would like to see the Downs Syndrome kid put in the game at the end so he can score a TD pile driven into the turf, cause you know, ****, ya gotta play to the final buzzer.

Last edited:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like you’d like an explanation, so I’ll give it a shot.

It’s referred to as “dribbling out”, and it is exactly the same as a football offense setting up in victory formation when they have a big lead.

In basketball they bring the ball across the timeline, and spread the floor and dribble in the corner. They aren’t set up to run the offense, so the defense sags, like the defense sags in football. If you’re not gonna try to score we’re not gonna defend you. It’s sportsmanship and class. Pure and simple.

So, let’s say The Texas Longhorns football offense sets up in victory formation with a big 38-14 lead over Oklahoma University on first down and 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter and the defense went easy on the snap and UT sent a guy deep and threw a long TD, would that be okay? That is the same scenario as bombing a trey with .2 on the clock and a 10+ point lead. It’s a classless, dickhead move. He got throughly boo’ed for it at a neutral site that was full of fans for several teams, not just OK State & TX fans. TCU & K-State were about to start so I’d guess there were more of their fans there at that time than either OK State or TX fans.

UT was dribbling out the clock for several seconds, so in victory formation, and with .2 on the clock this cat launches a trey. Not his best moment, and I’m 100% certain he got talked to about it.

Sportsmanship used to be really prevalent in all sports. Not so much anymore. Seems like some folks here would like to see the Downs Syndrome kid put in the game at the end so he can score a TD pile driven into the turf, cause you know, ****, ya gotta play to the final buzzer.
Ok, so if the offense is doing something that signals 'we're shutting down' and then shifts gears to score, agreed that is douche move.

Latest posts

Top Bottom